• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Essex Electro Engineers, Inc.

ZackMan

I have load bank model A427 that I use in conjunction with a MEP 803A and when I turn the master switch on, all three fans start and stay on for about five seconds and then there are several clicking noises, coming from either one of the fan motors or near the fan motor, before the fans shut down.

The first troubleshooting I did was to remove the cover and check all three fuses for continuity and resistance and they checked out okay.

I do have the technical manual and am reviewing it further as well.

Do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks.

Guyfang

Staff member
The clacking could be for a relay, that shuts off the load bank, when the fan motors do not suck/blow enough air. There is a vane looking thing that has to move into place to close some contacts before the thing will draw power. The contacts are in series. When one does not make contact, it all drops out. It could be that for some reason, the contacts make for a short time, and then one of them breaks. I have seen this before, many times with the A427. Man, are they nice when they work right!!

First off check to see if the motors turn freely. Then see if the vanes, move freely. Then turn on your power source and and have someone else energise the load bank, while you, look at the motors and contacts. Humor this old man. Please ground this thing, and check it. A good friend of mine had to retire at 38 years of age, when he touched one with a bad ground. Medevac to William Beaumont hospital and never worked again.

ZackMan

The clacking could be for a relay, that shuts off the load bank, when the fan motors do not suck/blow enough air. There is a vane looking thing that has to move into place to close some contacts before the thing will draw power. The contacts are in series. When one does not make contact, it all drops out. It could be that for some reason, the contacts make for a short time, and then one of them breaks. I have seen this before, many times with the A427. Man, are they nice when they work right!!

First off check to see if the motors turn freely. Then see if the vanes, move freely. Then turn on your power source and and have someone else energise the load bank, while you, look at the motors and contacts. Humor this old man. Please ground this thing, and check it. A good friend of mine had to retire at 38 years of age, when he touched one with a bad ground. Medevac to William Beaumont hospital and never worked again.

Guyfang,

Thank you for responding. I'll check out your recommendations. The unit is grounded.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Essex Electro A427 Load Bank.

It depends on what year, and exactly which model... the fuses are different for a 427, a427, a427b etc...
For only 5 seconds... I would say the load bank is sensing a problem. I know you have used this before, has anything changed.. hook up correctly?

select what style of load, single phase 120/240? 3 phase?
1. make all your connection to generator
2. make sure you have a good ground
3. power on generator, let it warm up
4. close the circuit interrupter on the generator
5. all load switches are off, variable knob is off.
6. power on the load bank
the fans will come on, you will then hear a click when the wind check deflector tell the load bank that the fans are moving air over the elements.

Flip up the 1st set of load, 3kw
onward you go...

NOTE: do not try to load bank on a windy day. That can blow the wind sensors back and shuts it all down for safety.

Last edited:

ZackMan

Howdy,
Essex Electro A427 Load Bank.

It depends on what year, and exactly which model... the fuses are different for a 427, a427, a427b etc...
For only 5 seconds... I would say the load bank is sensing a problem. I know you have used this before, has anything changed.. hook up correctly?

select what style of load, single phase 120/240? 3 phase?
1. make all your connection to generator
2. make sure you have a good ground
3. power on generator, let it warm up
4. close the circuit interrupter on the generator
5. all load switches are off, variable knob is off.
6. power on the load bank
the fans will come on, you will then hear a click when the wind check deflector tell the load bank that the fans are moving air over the elements.

Flip up the 1st set of load, 3kw
onward you go...

NOTE: do not try to load bank on a windy day. That can blow the wind sensors back and shuts it all down for safety.

Daybreak,

Thanks for responding. I will double check the connections. There is an air switch and contactor that I will check also; however, when I listen closely after energizing the unit, the clicking sound seems to be coming from inside the power absorber.

I'll need to check the capacitor after I safely discharge it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks