• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ether bottle replacement

I looked everywhere. I couldn't find it in the TM's and anywhere on the internet. How to replace the ether bottle. Is it just straight forward. Take the spent one out and then put the new one on? or is there certain things to do? Any help.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, pretty straight forward, bottles are available at the big truck parts shop, tip of the day; change the cork gasket out when you change the bottle.

74M35A2

Spins on just like a propane cylinder to a torch head. A NAPA branded one will fit and work, but the over-pressure vent tube which is on the truck and original bottle will likely not fit the NAPA cylinder.

74M35A2

You need to decide that, not us. You are not indicating what vehicle or engine you are talking about, and what the coldest temp is you will be starting the truck. Try without, add as required.

Ok I have a 1991 M923a2 With eh cummins 8.3. It has a few thousand miles. fairly low. I probably will only be starting it a few times during the winter. I don't use it like crazy. I just don't want to ruin my engine.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a block heater and I live in SC. Just easier to start a warm motor then a cold one.
I also have M923A2 and 4 good batteries are better than two.

74M35A2

Yes, fully charged batteries are step 1. Block heaters work great, but aren't really needed on the 8.3 until you get pretty cold. What is the coldest overnight temp you could guess you would want to start the truck the next morning? Clean fuel filters and diesel fuel with anti-gel in it goes a long way. The 8.3 starts relatively easy, even in cold temps. Won't need any ether or block heater until 20F or colder, my opinion. You can crank for up to 15 seconds at a time without starter damage, as long as you let it cool some before the next crank. Hold the pedal part way down, and go...

gottaluvit

I only have two original military batteries and have a 12v socket with a single LED (relevance?, a wee draw on the battery keeps electrons excited) and at the coldest it has been this year (14°F) the starter zinged and after four or so seconds of cranking with no fire, I used the ether as instructions indicate, and it fired after another four seconds of cranking. The 8.3 starts like a dream. I figure if the military didn't need a block heater in the field then I don't want to be dependant on one either.

MtnSnow

Charging my batteries right now. And okay cool. I will play it by ear. Thanks. I will ask more questions as needed.
So far this year Wadefeedomvehicles I have not had to use ether nor plug in a block heater (neither of my trucks have them) and it was 24* the other morning when I did it. Sure they smoked a bit and needed to crank for a few moments but both started right up and all cyl where firing in less than 30 seconds

Hmm ok, Thanks. These are great tips. I just got the truck in May, so I don't know a whole lot about it yet. The more I learn the better. I think I am going to try it tomorrow mid day to get it going. So thanks. I will keep all this in mind.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A block heater is much easier on the engine than starter fluid, but both work.
I agree with red just plug it in a couple of hours before use and save the starting fluid for emergency starts when you don't have time to plug in. Just my 2cents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks