• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ether starting system tube routing

Triple C

I purchased an ether bottle from NAPA for $50 and installed it in the socket. I can't tell if the system is working as it doesn't seem to make a difference when I push the button. I looked at the system and the tube routing is confusing. There is a small tube that comes out the bottom of the bottle fixture and goes to what appears to be some kind of valve on the water manifold. Another tube goes from the same valve to what looks like a wiper washer bottle (about a 1/2 gallong poly bottle.) a bigger tube exits the poly bottle and goes into the cab. I looked at the TM's and found the electrical diagram for this system but not the plumbing. Anyone able to give me some direction?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The small bottle is a left over from the old brake system before it was upgraded to ABS and a electric air dryer. It was used for alcohol to keep the lines from freezing up with moisture. It should not be attached to the ether system but it is a small 1/8 spaghetti tube and might have been mis-routed since many of the lines are in the same area. The tubes crack easily and all mine were just hanging there.

See the attached tubing chart and procedure tm.

The tubing is regular 1/8 air line available at any truck or hd store.

Attachments

Rkrug

I had the same problem with my 923 ether had no effect, I found that the atomizer (part that injects ether into the air intake) was completely pluged up with junk, this is probably what your problem is you just need to pull it off and clean it out there is a small filter that you should also clean too it is on the atomizer as well.
Hope this helps
RK

Rkrug

IMG_0636.jpgHere is a picture of the atomizer you can see that it is all scuzed up, there is a small hole that the ether comes out of that was plugged, after soaking it in some solvent for awhile I was able to blast the gunk out with some compressed air.

Triple C

Thanks juanprado, the lines are definately miss routed. Looks like an easy change though and thanks to Rkrug too, cause I think in addition to being missrouted, it is plugged up! I appreciate all the help both of you have been - I am going to need the ether system soon!

Triple C

Well as it turns out, I have bigger problems than routing. The solenoid unit the bottle screws into only has a ground wire. I can see where the power wire broke off flush with the body of the unit. SO, anybody know where I can get a NOS?

BigWill1985

Is it possible to dismantle the solenoid enough to get to the wire? Sounds like a pretty quick and easy fix with some solder and heat shrink tubing. At the very least, it could be a quick and easy repair to get you rolling until you can get a replacement part. Heck, you might even be able to fix it well enough to be a permanent fix!

~Will Courtier~

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a few trucks for parts in the classifieds. Try droprat in New Mexico or csmdavis. I suspect you can get one cheaper than retail from a fellow ss.

Triple C

Thanks BigWill1985 but it's definately broke. If it wasn't before, it is now! I was trying to take the bottom part off and when I twisted it - a whole lot more turned than was supposed to. Thanks to drgreg, they have a system on Amazon I may go with if I can't find one on SS, thanks to juanprado for the direction.

ranchhopper

Mine was all messed up too I ran a new wire from the I believe the 750 connector to the power side of the unit mine had a bad switch in the cab so I used a toggle switch to energize the system. In my case the toggle switch will work because Im the only one who drives the truck most will go with a spring loaded toggle switch that automatically returns to the off position. I rerouted the injector line direct from the unit to the intake manifold port where the stock one ends up in short I just eliminated the valve on the water manifold mine works great a quick flip of the switch and it starts right up I have a good used unit in the shop I will sell and tomorrow I will take the bottle off of it to make sure it comes off without ruining it..

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks