• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ETS DITY Move with M932 Fort Benning, GA. to Oregon

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a small shelter such as a S250 or S788 in it with the permanently afixed plumbing/appliances. It would probably come in handy during the cross country move, should be relatively inexpensive and will be easy to remove. When I looked into registering a 5ton as an RV in AK it had to have permanently installed plumbing etc so as to make it inhabitable as a temporary home or something like that. I don't recall the wording of the motor vehicle code in that state. I'm sure it varies state to state but I'd wager the intent is very similar. If your state has similar requirements they should be easy enough to meet and still allow you to quickly disconnect for removal. Put water/waste tanks under the bed with quick disconnects between the shelter and truck.

Can you register the trailer and truck combo as one RV? I wouldn't think so unless they were an integral unit. But, I've never looked at doing that...

rickf

I am not trying to be a spoiler here but I have been in the market for a 925 and I have been seeing them selling all day long for 4000.00 and down. You are talking about some dangerous combinations here and the guys have been pretty good about not bringing that up. You even asked what a trailer valve is but you say you have a CDL. Do you have an air brake endorsement? If you are dead set on doing this move yourself I would sell all of the military trucks and buy a road tractor. You can buy another 925 out of Barstow for a lot less than you paid for that one. Load the car up with stuff and drive it out. Fly back and load everything else in the truck and go for it. Any of the ideas you are proposing are dangerous and that is for a skilled driver with experience with that particular combination. Those trucks and dolly's were never meant for long distance driving in congested areas. You have a truck with an automatic transmission that is apparently new to you so you do not know what the condition is and you are going to grossly overload it. Chances are good it will not make it, it is not made for that kind of constant load.

It is your decision but a breakdown on the road with a rig like you are building can cost more than a new truck!

Rick

unoriginal

rickf,

First of all, I typically have thick skin, but I will clerify a few things, since I don't believe you read the whole thread before commenting;
1) I have not found any M925A2s with recent rebuilds for $4000. I would love to know your source.
2) I believe I have been set straight on a few occassions regarding some of the dangerous combinations I have suggested.
3) My trailer question was more of a request for clerification on what/how a seperate hand valve would be used in a combination setup, as well as, how I would use it with the current valve on my truck. Maybe you have a clear understanding of the spring overide valve on the 900 series trucks with wedge brakes, but I am not.
4) I have had a CDL for 12 years, with a combined total of 30 days driving a class A vehicle! I thought I had spelled out that I am an Army Officer, not a truck driver.
5) I am not an expert, but I see pups on dollys in congested areas on a regular basis.
6) I have put right around 300 miles on my truck, serviced everything, had a big truck mechanic do full DOT inspection on it for piece of mind, and I have been studying the four TMs (9-2320-272-24-1, -2, -3,-4) since I picked the truck up.
7) I think the truck will hardly be grossly overloaded. The pintle is rated at 30K. I will be pulling approximately 27K. I may lack the experience OTR, but this seems like simple math.

8 ) Yes, one break down could render the whole trip unprofitable! I don't think we can live life in fear. It will be an adventure worth having. I am only on here for insight on how to keep it safe.

9) Sincerely, I do appreciate your insight!

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled a 26ft M146 trailer with my M35a2 when I did my DITY move back to SC from Norfolk VA when I got out of the Navy.

I used a dolly that was constructed from a military M200 trailer and a civilian 5th wheel. I had VA DOT look it over and say he thought it was just fine. Had brakes on all axles. I didn't have an issue with the rear wandering much at all. Made sure to plan my stops long ahead of time. I loaded the truck with all the heavy stuff (spare parts, compressor, lathe, etc) and put my furniture, misc and clothes in the box trailer.

Was an interesting trip, slow, but I did it and made some money off the deal. Good luck with it!

A M915 to pull the trailer would be a walk in the park trip. But I know all about making due with what you have.

m146boxcar.jpgm146tow.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks