• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

even another m1009 charging issue

edgebar

ok,
GEN2 light is on all the time. voltmeter is in yellow to red all the time. headlights very dim.
1. rplaced both ends on the red/brn wires to both alt's
2. after charging and then letting truck sit for a couple of days, batts show 11.9 and 24.9 on hand held tester
3. key, off red wire show proper voltage.
4. key on brn wires show proper voltage.
5. truck running, batts do not show an increase in voltage.
am i missing any tests, or is the GEN 2 bad?
2 more questions, why no increase in voltage on GEN1 when truck runs, if GEN 2 is bad?
if GEN 2 is bad, where is the best place to get that isolated alternator?

Ah Ha! i have 2 other m1009's, i can just swap GEN2 with a known good one...then see, swap GEN1 ... then see.....correct?
so again, best place to get new GEN2?

thanks for any insight.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best place is to have it rebuilt or rebuild it yourself. Shops in my area run $85 and a one year warranty. I buy kits for $45 delevered to my door.

The NAPA part number is listed in the CUCV Wiki. They are rebuilt and run ~$225. If you get one make sure you test for the isolated ground before you leave the store as they have had issues with the rebuilds.

Or there are some on epay for ~$200.

From you test results, GEN2 is bad

The stock alternators are all "isolated grounds" so yes you can swap alternators from truck to truck, side to side.

When people start installing non-isolated ground alternators on the drivers side, you MUST make note of that or there will be fireworks if you try to swap them around.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I just counted at least 10 threads on cucv charging/ alt. problems in search and I am the one who hates search

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks