• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ever get a load of gas in your CUCV?

Im sorry but if im in Oregon I will flat out REFUSE to let someone else pump my fuel. Im very particular about my vehicles. I wouldnt want gas in my Deuce and id be pretty pissed if an attendant got gas all over my Mustang.

DokWatson

That ethanol in gasoline is the sorriest form of theft there is. Every time I am out of town far enough, I buy 'real' gas and enjoy the power and economy. Not only does the ethanol adulteration of the gasoline cost more and will never make a profit because it costs more to grow and process the corn than is the benefit of using it in fuel. It only eats up government subsidies paid to farmers so they don't go broke growing the unprofitable stuff, It makes less power and does no good at all. It's garbage. It's a greenie's dream of forcing others to comply with a false idea.

It's time we figured out the exact compositions of products like injector cleaner and octane booster and RXP - that stuff that cost 7.00 per ounce and cleans up the worst engine to pass emissions. WE could make all of that stuff ourselves I bet. I got to ask the resident chemists, what can I do to gas to counteract the 10% ethanol and get my wrongfully stolen economy and power back? I think adding diesel might help, since it has more BTUs than gas, while ethanol has less. ??
Not hard... I've looked up the MSDS for most octane boosters. They were all listed as "90% Kerosene".

Im sorry but if im in Oregon I will flat out REFUSE to let someone else pump my fuel. Im very particular about my vehicles. I wouldnt want gas in my Deuce and id be pretty pissed if an attendant got gas all over my Mustang.
Well, better not come to Oregon, or fill up in Idaho or Washington on the way here. That, or pack cans of unleaded here with you. Diesel you can pump yourself, unleaded you can not.

If you try to pump your own fuel, the attendant can either hit the emergency off, or motion the cashier to call the police. They will fine you for doing it. If the station lets you do it because you throw a fit, they can be fined by a passing DOT or officer. And I understand it's not cheap, something like $10,000+

They don't even top off the tank any more. Something to do with the vapor recovery system not functioning correctly, therefor polluting the atmosphere. Always fun to pay for gas when it comes out to $42.67

wmhguthrie

Well, I've gotten a tankfull of gas in my M1028. Just bought the thing. Day one, hour one. Took it to the station and unbeknownst to me, they filled it with gas. Almost a full tank, maybe about 7/8ths, and I didn't know. Well, it started acting up of course. Hard starting. Stalling. No starting. Off to the mechanic she goes. 4 weeks there. New fuel pump. (You can cuss these guys all you want.) Still not running, and they quit. they never did figure out that it was filled with gas. Next mechanic figures that out in about 30 minutes. Gets some special pump and pumps out all the gas. (Mechanic 1 had really worked it all through the system, drivin around on the highway and so on.) After pumping out all the gas, she still isn't right. Will only start with ether. Mechanic 2 is done. Off she goes to mechanic number 3, where she is now. And has been for almost 6 weeks! And they don't have a clue of what to do.

It was a good truck. Passed Virginia state inspection right before I bought it. Now I'm afraid it's FUBAR. Any last words?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The law that it must be pumped by a attendant could to prevent people from sticking the gas cap or something else in the nozzel handle and walking away , while counting on the automatic shut-off in the nozzel . I have seen this many times at self-serve station where no one is near the shut-off failed and it punps 20 gallons of gas on the ground before the attendant inside the building notices and hits the emergency shut-off .

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I've gotten a tankfull of gas in my M1028. Just bought the thing. Day one, hour one. Took it to the station and unbeknownst to me, they filled it with gas. Almost a full tank, maybe about 7/8ths, and I didn't know. Well, it started acting up of course. Hard starting. Stalling. No starting. Off to the mechanic she goes. 4 weeks there. New fuel pump. (You can cuss these guys all you want.) Still not running, and they quit. they never did figure out that it was filled with gas. Next mechanic figures that out in about 30 minutes. Gets some special pump and pumps out all the gas. (Mechanic 1 had really worked it all through the system, drivin around on the highway and so on.) After pumping out all the gas, she still isn't right. Will only start with ether. Mechanic 2 is done. Off she goes to mechanic number 3, where she is now. And has been for almost 6 weeks! And they don't have a clue of what to do.

It was a good truck. Passed Virginia state inspection right before I bought it. Now I'm afraid it's FUBAR. Any last words?
Seen this alot and have got lotsa deuce fuel just for this reason [thumbzup]. Usually nothing serious happens. Just pump out the gas, re fill it with diesel and it should be good to go. Mind you, this has been on direct injected engines. If it runs OK after it starts, the glow plugs could have been hurt or it might be a coinkiedink that the GP card took a dump at the same time...stranger things have happened.

wmhguthrie

Seen this alot and have got lotsa deuce fuel just for this reason [thumbzup]. Usually nothing serious happens. Just pump out the gas, re fill it with diesel and it should be good to go. Mind you, this has been on direct injected engines. If it runs OK after it starts, the glow plugs could have been hurt or it might be a coinkiedink that the GP card took a dump at the same time...stranger things have happened.
Thanks for your reply.

It will only barely and rarely get started and then it won't stay running for more than a minute or so. You can see lots of bubbles in the fuel when you bleed the lines from the filter. Bleed it and bleed it and bleed it and still lots of bubbles. Seems like the gas corroded something somewhere in the fuel line.

jaxsof

When I worked for Mopar back in the 80's, a man put a full load of diesel in his Omni. Ran ok once it was warm, smoked like a coal burning train though. Once cold, wouldn't burn it at all.

Ive also seen the other way, way more catastrophic than has been related here. Once a Dodge Ram Cummins, was stopped at a spot where someone had spilled some gasoline. The air cleaner opening that year was low, toward the bumper. It picked up the fumes and "ran away" untill the crank came out the bottom.

Also, a local county school district had an employee fill about 45 Cummins powered busses with gas. They lost 2 engines before they shopped the fleet till they figured it out.

Glow plugs don't heat the fuel, they heat the incomming air until the engine can spin fast enough that compression can provide the required heat.

The CUCVs that have ingested gas, and no longer run really should considder a compression check to see if any cylinder sealing has been lost (rings or valves)

2deuce

What I'm thinking is that mechanic #1 may have fried your glow plugs. It would have been hard to miss the smell of gas when the fuel filter gets bled. I don't think the gas is going to do any damage by itself, but by messing with the fuel system he has let in air in somewhere or by using ether, engine damage is the result. Take off the oil fill and see if there is blow by when you try to start it.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And remember, too much ether can stick rings. It will loosen the carbon and stick the rings in the lands. If there is a mess of air, it might be just a fluke that the gas further damaged an already failing hose. If it were me and I saw lotsa air before the pump, i'd check downstream.

As for the above post about running away, that is only because the gas fumes are an uncontrolled fuel source, same thing will happen if a turbo seal goes away and pumps oil into the intake on a turboed engine. The gas that is being metered into the engine will light and the engine will run, not so good, but it will run and not run away. If the engine is operated long enough it will hurt the injectors and pump, gas has zero lubrication properties and the innards of the pump and Inj's have class fit parts, meaning there are clearances in the .0001 range. Things that close that have no lube will stick.

2deuce

I now pump all my own diesel here in Oregon, no more chances, I run my own card and start filling as soon as I get to the pump. The attendants sometimes come running over, but once they see me pumping diesel they are ok and almost everyone remarks about the big filler hole. I bought a truck recently that wouldn't run and hadn't run in years. I bought it because the caretaker told me no ether was ever used in any attempt, he knew better on a diesel and would never allow that, he said. It also had a perfect body, no dents, just desert sun baked paint. I wanted to get it started before I got it off the trailer at home and expected glow plug issues. First thing I did was bleed the fuel filter and had a carton to catch the diesel. The only problem was what came out was rotten gas. It had been in there a very long time. The tank was full on the gauge. I hooked up an electric fuel pump to the line at the filter and pumped out about 20 gal of orange gas. Dumped in a few gallons of diesel and pumped that out too. I didn't do anything else except change the fuel filter, engine oil and batteries and crank the starter about 30 seconds and drove it off the trailer. She runs very well now.
Gas didn't do anything to the fuel system after being in there for years on my truck.
Not related but wrong stuff can get in the fuel system....
I also bought a 1980 chev 4x4 dually last summer that hadn't run in years. I bought it mainly for the crane on its flatbed. It has a 454 BB in it. I thought the fuel would be bad in it so I pumped it out and it had something other than gas in its tanks too. It made me sick to smell it and it was blue in color. Got it out, and the engine runs fine now, I think the truck was pranked, because it was on an indian reservation and somebody used a torch on the tool boxes and caused other stupid damage, cut the wiring off the crane etc, but I can't complain cause thats why I got it so cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks