• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Every home owner needs a truck.

CaptinChaos

So this is the conversation ive had with my wife. We are purchasing a home in a nice West Des Moines area with no covenant. Ive always told my wife that having a truck is important when owning a home so she agreed. ;-)

I just didnt say what kind of truck.

Im new at this and i have used the search function but here are the questions i have.

How does GL actually work, i noticed some auctions at our local reserve base but i dont know how to bid.

Which engine is the better one to get. Im new to diesels but not new to wrenching. I dont need to offroad i just need it to haul stuff, take the kids to school, scare the neighbors, bring anarchy to a once peacefull culdesac.

Id like to hear pros and cons for the hard top and the winch. I dont really need the winch but **** who needs a truck this size anyway so why not.

Has anyone ever installed some type of kill switch so anyone cant just start it up and drive off. NO chain and lock is not an acceptable answer.

Has anyone ever retrofitted there interiors with sound deadening material and vinyl to help droun out the sound. Maybe even carpet.

Last but not least. Im a car guy, always will. I like to find old cars bring them home fix them and sell. Is it possible to haul a car in the back of a deuce. The weight limit and the length seem to make it believeable but i was curious if anyone has done it. I understand i will need anchoring hooks and possibly beef up the mounting points on the bed but has anyone ever done this. I can fab up the ramps myself.

Looking forward to the answers to the questions that have probally already been asked i just havent found. The probable ridicule of my spelling and not using the search function more thourghly. And the overall helpfullness i have heard this sight can produce.

CaptinChaos

spicergear

So this is the conversation ive had with my wife. We are purchasing a home in a nice West Des Moines area with no covenant. Ive always told my wife that having a truck is important when owning a home so she agreed. :wink: An excellent start!

I just didnt say what kind of truck. could equal doghouse...

Im new at this and i have used the search function but here are the questions i have. You'll be using it a LOT more.

How does GL actually work, i noticed some auctions at our local reserve base but i dont know how to bid. Sign up on GL, read, read, read and it's actually pretty easy.

Which engine is the better one to get. Im new to diesels but not new to wrenching. I dont need to offroad i just need it to haul stuff, take the kids to school, scare the neighbors, bring anarchy to a once peacefull culdesac. Most the trucks left have good engines. Turbo preference with spool noise is a consideration sometimes.

Id like to hear pros and cons for the hard top and the winch. I dont really need the winch but **** who needs a truck this size anyway so why not. Hardtop = warmer usually...try searching some more on that too. Winch?! That's a rhetorical question, right? :mrgreen:

Has anyone ever installed some type of kill switch so anyone cant just start it up and drive off. NO chain and lock is not an acceptable answer. Pretty sure these have been covered before...yep, more searching.

Has anyone ever retrofitted there interiors with sound deadening material and vinyl to help droun out the sound. Maybe even carpet. Yep, it helps.

Last but not least. Im a car guy, always will. I like to find old cars bring them home fix them and sell. Is it possible to haul a car in the back of a deuce. The weight limit and the length seem to make it believeable but i was curious if anyone has done it. I understand i will need anchoring hooks and possibly beef up the mounting points on the bed but has anyone ever done this. I can fab up the ramps myself. The ramps would need to be huge or the vehicle may high center at the top or not clear trying to get on the ramp. My buddy put a '57 caddy in his...it overhung and was put there with a forklift. Prolly not what you're looking to do with a 12' bed. Lots about trailer hitches for these trucks; search that too.

Looking forward to the answers to the questions that have probally already been asked i just havent found. The probable ridicule of my spelling and not using the search function more thourghly. And the overall helpfullness i have heard this sight can produce. The site has some of the best info and best group of people on it.

CaptinChaos <-- are you a South Park fan?

Metternacht

Answering what I can since I don't own one yet but have read a lot on here.

There is a thread with someone hauling his corvette in the back of his Deuce.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/72382-epic-separation-2.html

post 64

So it can be done, it's the loading / unloading that is the challenge. Using a Loading Dock is the easiest unless you know someone with a flatbed tow-truck.

Sound deadening is doable and there are lots of threads on how to reduce in cab noise. I am sure someone will chime in with a few in a moment. Here is one that covers it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/59184-no-help-needed-m109-restore.html

Hard tops are quieter I believe and handle the cold / snow better but that is based on my reading not personal experience.

Yes Kill switches have been installed, or battery disconnects so it is doable.

No advice on GL as i have not jumped into that yet.

Welcome and keep on searching the answers are out there.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Id like to hear pros and cons for the hard top and the winch. I dont really need the winch but **** who needs a truck this size anyway so why not.

Also it is normally cheaper to buy a truck with winch installed then adding one later. AND it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

eagle4g63

Love the winch on mine...plus it puts the bumper out there a little farther.....makes easier to see where EXACTLY the front end is. Plus you never know owning a house when you might want to uproot a small tree or pull out a fence(done both with mine).

In my opinion I would rather a hard top(mine is soft) not so much for the noise(as mine is the insulated one) so I won't see too much difference but either way it takes two to take the top off so may as well go for the hard one.......the thing won't flop around when driving(I don't like the noise of the soft top "poping"). Plus with the hard top you get a better seal.

If you drive a stick than the only way to go is with an A2 that has a multi-fuel in it.....you will love the ability to run with more than just diesel.

Any race master switch (battery disconnect) will work for what you want....I haven't put one in mine yet but am going to.....just be sure to put it somewhere that isn't too obvious, not hard to bypass.

And yes, look at the threads on here you will see many interior mods and what not that people have done, the sky is the limit!!

You have made it past the hard part(the wife) and hope she doesn't react like mine.....she said OK and then saw the truck:shock: doghouse is an understatement.....lol

Last edited:

panshark

Good job making sure you're clear of covenants, now go downtown and check out your zoning restrictions.

I took the same steps you did, checked to make sure no covenants, felt good about picking the right house, (built in an older, quiet part of town) until I got a call one day from a police officer, calling to discuss my abandoned vehicle. No sir, it's not abandoned, it's parked right in front of my house. He said neighbor complaints, obstructing view of traffic, etc--I had to move it. He said I can't park a 10k+ vehicle in front of my house, and gave me the number to the zoning officer. Zoning officer said no parking the beast in front of my house, not in my driveway, not in my back yard, not in my garage. I'm zoned residential, and no means no.

You have the advantage of time and research right now, so if I were you, I would take the extra step and call or visit your district's planning and zoning office.

tlessin86

I know a guy in Cresco, Iowa (about a 3 hour drive for you) who has some trucks if you want me to point you his way. He is a super nice guys and is currently still in the military. As a higher ranking officer he was able to go into the motor pools and pick the good trucks out before anyone else (this being at least 3 or 4 years ago). Last I Knew he had 9 or so trucks left. The truck we got from him was completely rebuild by the army in 2003. It has run flawless for us over the 2 years we have had it and no rust. If you want more information just respond to the post or email me. Again great guy and great trucks.

54earl

Good job making sure you're clear of covenants, now go downtown and check out your zoning restrictions.

I took the same steps you did, checked to make sure no covenants, felt good about picking the right house, (built in an older, quiet part of town) until I got a call one day from a police officer, calling to discuss my abandoned vehicle. No sir, it's not abandoned, it's parked right in front of my house. He said neighbor complaints, obstructing view of traffic, etc--I had to move it. He said I can't park a 10k+ vehicle in front of my house, and gave me the number to the zoning officer. Zoning officer said no parking the beast in front of my house, not in my driveway, not in my back yard, not in my garage. I'm zoned residential, and no means no.

You have the advantage of time and research right now, so if I were you, I would take the extra step and call or visit your district's planning and zoning office.
The thing that gets me about this in our neck of the woods is I have two neighbours that park their mega RVs on the street all summer long with out being bothered. One of them then parks it in the drive way through the winter. That is good advice though.

treessw

The sky is really the limit with these vehicles. If you've got the time and the money there is no end to the wonderful upgrades. A2 is stick with multi fuel, A3 has auto and Cat 3116, both have winch versions soft tops and hard tops. A3 already is singled out and has air assist steering, A2 has arm-strong steering. Search the threads here on the site and read read read!!!! You may end up wanting a 800 series or more when it is said and done. Checking on zoning is also a good start and may dictate exactly what you can get. BEWARE!!!!! This is addictive!!!!!!:beer:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It is far, far better to have a deuce and not need it than to need a deuce and not have it.

I hauled my Ford Ranger back from Arkansas in the bed of a deuce (with another deuce behind it on a tow bar). I had to leave the tailgate down and chain it up behind the wheels of the Ranger. Getting it on was not an issue...just backed up to an improvised loading dock. When I got back I backed into a ditch and put two 2x12s down as ramps.

If I were going to haul a vehicle a lot I would get a car trailer and put a receiver hitch on the deuce.

Deuces are tougher than woodpecker lips.

plym49

My .02:

The only engine worth having is a multifuel. Some like those with a whistler turbo; either is nice.

I am happy to not have a front winch as it makes the truck longer and puts a lot more weight on the front end (gets it right up to the limit). A truck w/o a winch should also be less expensive.

If zoning in your area does not permit a truck, but permits an RV, find out how you can class your Deuce as an RV. Maybe a removable module.

Tanner

No covenants? Park a Deuce out front & see how long that lasts - :D

As others have said, check the town out carefully regarding large truck regulations - I'd also recommend clearly understanding the vehicle registration process for something the size of a Deuce to make sure there are no titling issues BEFORE you purchase one -

Enjoy!

Tanner

So this is the conversation ive had with my wife. We are purchasing a home in a nice West Des Moines area with no covenant. Ive always told my wife that having a truck is important when owning a home so she agreed. ;-)

I just didnt say what kind of truck.

Im new at this and i have used the search function but here are the questions i have.

How does GL actually work, i noticed some auctions at our local reserve base but i dont know how to bid. Basically you need to sign up, log in your credit card (you can't bid without a credit or debit card) and start searching for the truck you want. You want to bid on stuff as close to you as possible, but for deuces, that may not be an option, since the pipeline is getting to a trickle. Be aware there is a 10% premium on all auctions so keep that in mind. Also, some locations will not let you drive the vehicle off, you have to trailer or tow it. Find out before you win an auction.

Which engine is the better one to get. Im new to diesels but not new to wrenching. I dont need to offroad i just need it to haul stuff, take the kids to school, scare the neighbors, bring anarchy to a once peacefull culdesac. Either is fine, I prefer the multifuel in the A2.

Id like to hear pros and cons for the hard top and the winch. I dont really need the winch but **** who needs a truck this size anyway so why not. I use mine to get to some family woodland just off a pipeline right of way. A winch is a must for me. I'd love to have a hardtop, mine came with the soft top. I have heard they are warmer, which is a pain here in Louisiana in summer.

Has anyone ever installed some type of kill switch so anyone cant just start it up and drive off. NO chain and lock is not an acceptable answer. Yep. Search for battery shut off or battery kill switch.

Has anyone ever retrofitted there interiors with sound deadening material and vinyl to help droun out the sound. Maybe even carpet. Yes, search will help you.

Last but not least. Im a car guy, always will. I like to find old cars bring them home fix them and sell. Is it possible to haul a car in the back of a deuce. The weight limit and the length seem to make it believeable but i was curious if anyone has done it. I understand i will need anchoring hooks and possibly beef up the mounting points on the bed but has anyone ever done this. I can fab up the ramps myself. My Jeep CJ fits in the back. You know how a lot of guys with pickups like to keep their 4 wheelers in the back? See where I'm going with this? Make sure ramps are long enough.

Looking forward to the answers to the questions that have probally already been asked i just havent found. The probable ridicule of my spelling and not using the search function more thourghly. And the overall helpfullness i have heard this sight can produce.

CaptinChaos
LC

CaptinChaos

Wow thanks for the responses. I personally think its BS for anyone to tell you what you can do with your property. The street yes but in your driveway is bull. To bad any garage you could build to hold the thing would look like a barn or a shop so they probally wont allow that either.

I am interested in hearing about the trucks located in iowa if you wanted to PM me the info.

I will probally go hardtop for what i will use it for. The main thing was to keep costs down. I want to spend less then 5k. Id like a winch and more then likely a heater as well. Dont know if a heater is worth it, but this is iowa and its necessary sometimes.

I will probally go multifuel as well since there seems to be more of those and the cost for those seem to be where i need them.

I guess i didnt know there was such a big thing on these, but then again most people dont buy these and park them at there house.

The arguement i would have with my wife but i think she would understand. Any old pickup i purchase will get the same mpg as this one. These trucks have alot more uses then a regular pickup only because there ability to haul more. Like i said im really interested in useing these to haul some vehicles so i might look into a long bed version.

Things im nervous about.

Its big, which means not necessary that parts to fix it are expensive but any regular shop tools i have wont work. ON top of that, i had a school bus once and my biggest fear was if it breaks down, i cant afford the tow bill. Big items are big bucks when they totally break down. And insuring one i havent even looked into but i woudl assume that is pricey as well.

All in all when this happens i think it will be a great thing. I need to check into zoneing but why the **** i need to check into zoneing my personal truck i have no idea. Growing up a neighbor across the street from us converted a huge uhaul van in his driveway into a homemade icecream makeing machine and storage. Something about underprivelaged kids and charity. But no one on the block raised a big stink. And were not talking one of the small ones this was the biggest one ive seen made.

Things im interested in doing which some i have covered.

Wheel converson. Butttttttttttttttttttttttttttt i think i would want to go with a less agressive tread. Maybe one of the tires from the cement trucks or dump trucks.

Interior Upgrade. Sound deadening all over and definatelly a seat upgrade. Possibly look into hooking up some type of stereo.

Exhaust upgrade. Going with the whole quieter theme id like to see about moving the stack either under the truck of behind the cab somehow.

As far as engines i thought the multifuel were the whistlers. Someone mentioning something about if you run gas you need to add some oil to it otherwise it doesnt lubrecate the turbo.

Can you plug these in like regular diesels as well or is this impossible with the 24v system.

Thats about it, thanks for the advice guys and im looking forward to showing you what i pick up. House 1st, Deuce 2nd.

Gastrap

Definately check with the CLEO about the truck being parked on your property, I did this and they were fine with it. Several complained but got nowhere. I ended up building a shed for her anyway.

The big issue now is that IDOT is refusing to issue new titles to ex military vehicles newer than 1970 even when presented with a valid title. They are continuing to renew previously titled MV's. I have letters out to state reps, etc. This problem is not an SF97 issue, they have said they will not issue even on a sale from private party with valid Iowa title! Check with the DMV this week and ask about it, they all have the same info. Hopefully this will get rectified soon.aua

Last edited:

eagle4g63

The multi came with 2 turbos: A-the "C" whistler turbo, or B- the "D" non whistler

If running gas...the use of the oil isn't to lube the turbo....it is to lube the fuel system, diesel is more oily than gas and lubes the injector pump and hydraulic head.

In regards to "plug it in"...I am guessing you are talking about in the winter with a block heater? If so than the block heater would have to be added(these don't come with one) and they are separate from the electrical system of the truck.

Also If you live(or rather move) where they have a VFW or something in that line than offer to run it in the parade for them.....Keep it clean looking(paint wise) even if it means some kind of cheep paint job with spay cans, that way you have a little bit of a bargaining chip with the code enforcer......this has helped me drastically with my truck. I daily drive mine and in Griffith it is against code to have it on residential roads(I work construction so use it and drive it to peoples houses). However after talking to the code enforcer and reminding him that I use the truck for parades for the local VFW he has given me a pass on the codes....even said he would buy me a beer if I wanted to meet him in town sometime!!

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

CaptinChaos

The questions you ask are the most common ones, and they have all been answered and rehashed repeatedly.

Recommend spending a couple of days reading here and you will quickly run out of questions or else come up with some new and interesting ones.

So there is no ridicule here, just helpfulness. Here's a quick help for you on how to use the forum.

1. Go back to your post I quoted above.

2. Click the Quote button for your own post.

3. Right Click on the words that the forum thinks you misspelled and has underlined with a red wavy line.

4. Select the most likely correct spelling suggested.

Note that when you are keying in your post and misspell a word, after the space bar is pressed, the words you misspell are underlined with that red wavy line.

If you:

a. Choosing a descriptive title for your thread that gives a clue about what it is about.

b. Put some real effort into finding the answer before starting a new thread to ask a question.

c. Put minimal effort into correct spelling, you don't have to know how to spell, just use the included spelling tool. This makes your post MUCH easier for others to read.

Then more members will be interested in helping you. Yes, we are helpful, and for example I just put some effort of my own into some easy to follow advice that will help you get so much more out of this forum that others have put so much into.

If you are persistent in not putting much apparent effort into your requests for help, some here will get the no doubt mistaken impression that you are lazy and want others to do all the research for you and post it up just special for you.

I have no reason to believe that you are lazy, so please don't misunderstand me and think that I am assuming that. But, others might jump to that conclusion and so I am ~trying to help you avoid such a just darned awful blight on your first impression here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks