• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Every home owner needs a truck.

Tanner

I will probally go hardtop for what i will use it for. (wear hearing protection; for you and passengers) The main thing was to keep costs down. I want to spend less then 5k. Id like a winch and more then likely a heater as well. Dont know if a heater is worth it, but this is iowa and its necessary sometimes. (you can add a simple heater setup if you buy truck w/o one)

I will probally go multifuel as well since there seems to be more of those and the cost for those seem to be where i need them. (read up on care & feeding of multifuel engines; know their limitations...)

The arguement i would have with my wife but i think she would understand. Any old pickup i purchase will get the same mpg as this one. These trucks have alot more uses then a regular pickup only because there ability to haul more. Like i said im really interested in useing these to haul some vehicles so i might look into a long bed version.

Things im nervous about.

And insuring one i havent even looked into but i woudl assume that is pricey as well. (look to Forum under 'Deuce' heading to search for insurance info)

All in all when this happens i think it will be a great thing. I need to check into zoneing but why the **** i need to check into zoneing my personal truck i have no idea. (towns & municipalities have codes that you may not be currently aware of if you've never parked a 'big truck' there before...)

Things im interested in doing which some i have covered.

Wheel converson. Butttttttttttttttttttttttttttt i think i would want to go with a less agressive tread. Maybe one of the tires from the cement trucks or dump trucks. (if you buy a truck with good rubber on it, keep running them...)

Interior Upgrade. Sound deadening all over and definatelly a seat upgrade. Possibly look into hooking up some type of stereo. (not sure you'll hear a stereo well over the noise in a Deuce cab)

As for fuel economy - figure on ~ 6-10 mpg - there are various numbers to be found in the Deuce forum regarding Deuce fuel economy on multifuel engines with various tire combos & driving habits/terrain...
The titling issues COULD give you fits if the truck is titled after a certain model year, like my buddies '68 Deuce that was depot rebuilt to '1984 specs' - and his was titled as an '84, not as a '68...

'Tanner'

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With regard to taking the kids to school, you might ask here what problems people have run into.
I don't have any but I can imagine there may be some hassles regarding seat belts, climbing in,
school authorities, etc. Just thought there might be, but I don't know for sure if this is something
to be concerned about.
Bruce

eagle4g63

My deuce has seat belts, came with them. Plus I did drive my grand daughter to school every day in it.......she was the talk of the place. Kids would all stare and wave at her when I pulled up with that thing!!!!!

The only problem I had is getting into the pick up area after school...not a lot of room. But around here a lot of people would just pull off the street out front and wait so I started doing the same thing, I had the same spot every afternoon....the place with the big mud hole no one else wanted to drive through:D

panshark

I think if you take kids to school, they have to ride in a booster seat until they're 23, 240 pounds, or smoking a pack a day, whichever comes first. and remember to buckle it in tight.aua
And they can't ride in the front seat either.

CaptinChaos

On a side note beerslayer i was being sarcastic when i put that last paragraph on my first post. It seems whenever you join a new website you get throttled for not using the search function properly or someone chimes in on how bad your spelling or your lack of punctuation. I was serious when i heard about the helpfullness of this sight. Which is why i joined without actually owning a military vehicle yet. But i know you werent busting my britches to bad so its all good.

I will definitely look into the licensing aspect.

Part of me is wondering if its worth the extra expense to get one from a dealer or private seller. Only because of the added hastle of trying to get one going if its been sitting a while at the base. Possibly having someone already deal with the title issues from the government and the state.

I have alot more research to do and this is going to be a problem. This sight is addicting, ive already spend most of my night after work looking up things and most of the time before work. These are very interesting vehicles none the less. Thanks again for all the help gang.

mcmullag

read, read, read

Just keep reading and I say, don't worry about getting your first truck right, you can always sell the first one and from what you've learned, get a better one or more of what you want, the next time. I lurked for about a year at least on here and then bought my first deuce, a '71 that I sold after two years, from a guy I met on here and 3 or 4 years later we are still good buds and helping each other with parades and detailing the truck and such. Do try to find somebody with one and go for a ride in it and walk around it and ask questions. Best of luck, keep reading and searching all your questions and topics, googling your queries brings you to threads on this site. Best of luck!

Bobert

Also check gsaauctions.gov They occasionally have deuces up in ames, but most are not in great shape. We keep a deuce in storage in west des Moines. Way easier than dealing with the snobby neighbors, and this is in des Moines.

GL is easy once you figure it out, but a bit of a pain. Gsa is a faster process so keep an eye out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks