• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exceeding Manufacturer's Speed Rating on 15.50r20 Tires

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking into going to 15.5R20 or other large radial tires on the Deuce and so spent 6 hours this morning searching and reading threads using the site search and Google and found little specific to this issue.

I have read the manufacturer's dire warnings, as well as the equally dire and more colorful warnings posted by members here including the ones about exceeding 2200 rpm on a multifuel engine and don't disagree. There are certain situations however, such as crossing the desert between Austin and Eureka on Highway 50 where I am not too concerned about stopping distances and engine longevity and am more interested in crossing times, and feel that in this case it may be safe and prudent to exceed 56mph in a Deuce.

What I would like to hear about is member's experiences with running the large radials at speeds greater than the 50 mph rating for extended distances. Has anyone had problems with tires heating or blowing out, or premature failure? I am thinking light loads or empty, not heavily loaded.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

M1075

WAY to big of a tire for a duece.

I dont think that you could turn the wheel or go over speedbumps.

They will not fit on standard rims either.

2cents

Many guys run 15.5s on their deuce, myself included. I just haven't driven it for extended distances at high speeds.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldnt that be a 51" tall tire? :?

I thought 14-20's rubbed?
15.5R20 is 46" diameter. I spend several hours this morning searching and then reading every thread I could find that mentions them. They will mount with difficulty on a stock rim but it isn't a good idea. Michelin recommends 10" rim. Lots of people here run 15.5R20s. Tires are easy to find, wheels, expensive.

I just want to know if they will heat up and magically explode if run over 50 MPH. I would like to be able to run about 65 once in a while for an hour or three at a time.

M1075

To my knowledge the most common miltary use for the is the m1076 trailer. I believe the max speed for the pls is 56mph so I would feel really comfortable up to or about that speed. I think michelin rates them for about that speed too. Above that speed, I would rather be on radials than old bias ndccs

yeager1

Tire ratings deal with max loads and extreme climates. Your truck will never hit the max rating (it's not capable) and the max temps would only be hit in the desert. So do it at your own risk if you want, but for a deuce in Oregon I would think you are probably fine.

Alredneck

Banned
The tires will fit as I am running 395s on APoc ( see my post, Apocs ready to plunder and pillage in this same forum ). I have run 72 tops on the flat for many, many mile and havent had in problems yet, 60-65 even more, to date I have over 4000 miles on them with my setup, only problem blown flange gasket ( bolts werent even tight ) and my speedo doesnt work ( wasnt accurate any way, it seems after being over driven for so long it just bounces around now. GPS is the best way to keep track. YOu will rub some on hard right turns, and a lil bit in the fenders if you take it off the beaten path. Remember just cause you got bigger tires doesnt mean you cant get stuck, it just worse stuck!:roll:

Alredneck

Banned
Oh yea one more thing as long as you are not panic stopping the brakes work ok, make sure you go through them and have all good parts. Other than that have fun and get ready to invest in power steering. On the road steering is about the same as the lil tires but offroad they can break fingers, hands, arms or what ever gets in their way. Remember thumbs out and if the wheel starts spinning let it go cause you wont be able to hold on. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks