• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Excessive smoke from slobber tube

wb1895

Okay, I have been trying to find out if my deuce has a slobbering problem....

My truck is a non turbo with a White LD-465-1 motor.

The slobber tube extends down to the lowest point of the frame. While the truck is running there is a constant white smoke coming from it. The smoke rolls out from under the passenger side front wheel well, And while I am out driving I have been asked multiple times if my truck is overheating.

Also, The front axle gets covered in motor oil from the slobber tube, to the point that if the truck has been running for a couple of hours I develop a slow drip of oil that is running off of the axle.

The truck runs very strong and does not lose oil very fast. I have to add about 1-2 quarts every 1-2 thousand miles.

Any ideas?????? I am hoping that I am not in need of a motor rebuild.

poppop

I had a farm tractor do that. It would blow out a quart of oil every hour though if running full throttle. It started well in cool weather , ran good and had good power. When I tore it down it had broken rings on one piston caused by excessive starting fluid. Compression was leaking past into the crankcase causing the smoke and blowing out the oil. If you can do a compresion test that would teel you the condition of all cylinders.

Wolf.Dose

As said before, you have a blow by problem (Blow by is the technical term to decribe your problem. Every engine has it, even a new one. The more worn / miles, the more blow by). Your piston rings are probalby worn out or sticking, at least one or two of them.
How many miles or hours has your engine. Was it rebuilt? Rebuilding should be labeled on the engine. Which oversize are your pistons /piston rings/bore? Was the truck standing for many years?
There is a change to loosen stick piston rings: Thake out the injectors, fill the conbustion chanber/ cylinders withpetroleum / kerosine and let it run thought the engine. Repet several times. Change oil after that. reinstall the injectors and bleed them. Run the engine. If this does not help, check compression. If out of range, you have no other choise to rebuilt your engine.
Wolf

wb1895

According to the odometer ( and we all know how accurate those are) The truck has 27,000 miles.

The hour meter says the motor has 875 hours. I have looked and not seen a rebuild tag on the motor, so I can only assume that it has not been rebuilt. I do know that the truck was a National Guard truck.

Wolf.Dose

So I assume the truck ws standing for many years, at least somewhen in its later years. If the Kerosine solution does not help, rebuilt the engine.
875 hours mean some 30 miles per engine hour, which is relatively slow. So a lot of idle or truck missuse at the National Guard.
Wolf

LanceRobson

For the "For what it's worth" department, after over 35 years around these things the trend seems to be that a deuce cargo truck will have about 30 miles on it for every hour shown. They get used on tank trails and for cross country work a higher proportion of the time than the bigger trucks.

5 ton cargo trucks tend to be in the 35-40 mile range for each hour and the tractors tend to be in the 45-50 miles for each hour range. Special purpose trucks like wreckers, pole setters and shop trucks are all over the place.

I have a 1966 M35A2C rebuilt in 1989. It has 7K on the transmission, transfer case and axles (the rebuild tags all match the overhaul date). The engine was not rebuilt nor was it new. It has a tag on it stating that it was inspected and all the bearings etc are standard size. That means there is no way to tell how many miles/hours are on it

It has more blow by than any truck I've owned or ever had in a unit but the compression is in spec, the valves are adjusted correctly and it just got 8.4 MPG running the I-81 hills to the Gilbert rally with a fair load and towing an M105 trailer with about a thousand pounds in the trailer. I'll worry about it when the compression or mileage go to ****.

Lance

poppop

I have a couple farm tractors with what seems like a lot of blowby. They start well and pull good. As long as they are not blowing out a lot of oil I am not concerned about them. As stated above some engines just have more blowby than others.

wb1895

I have had the truck for over a year now, and the blowby has been the same since I got it. It starts and runs fine, sounds good and pulls great. So, I guess I should just keep check on the oil and let it be.

By the way Lloyd the generator I got from you is working great, Thanks again!!!!!!!!

poppop

wb1895 welcome home!!! I did not know that was you. I am glad the generator is holding up. Papabear is really the Man to thank, I just helped him do a good deed. He promised to replace mine and an extra if I let you have mine. Lucky for me the man can't count because when I started to pack up at the Rally last year there were three alternators laying by my truck. Why don't you come on down to the Ga. Rally and thank papabear yourself. He will be the rather large man prancing around in the red tutu.rofl

stumps

There is one other reason for excessive blowby, and that is a cracked block, or any other breach that causes the coolant to get into the oil.

Coolant leaks are easy to check for, your oil will turn into mayonnaise after running a while. If you see any sign of gorp on your dipstick you likely have a coolant leak.

-Chuck

DeuceDad

According to the odometer ( and we all know how accurate those are) The truck has 27,000 miles.

The hour meter says the motor has 875 hours. I have looked and not seen a rebuild tag on the motor, so I can only assume that it has not been rebuilt. I do know that the truck was a National Guard truck.

wb1895.... if my engine was rebuilt, where would I see such a rebuild tag you are referring too? I am trying to determine this myself for my 71' deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks