• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust brake Questions

TGeorge

My 2006 M 1078A1 with c7 Acert is fitted with what I believe is an air actuated exhaust brake (see photo)

What is the "normal" position for the air cylinder when the engine is idling? Extended or retracted?

I can't for the life of me get the rotary shaft to move *at all* I'm curious if this could be the source of my reduced power.

TIA, Tobin

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2006 M 1078A1 with c7 Acert is fitted with what I believe is an air actuated exhaust brake (see photo)

What is the "normal" position for the air cylinder when the engine is idling? Extended or retracted?

I can't for the life of me get the rotary shaft to move *at all* I'm curious if this could be the source of my reduced power.

TIA, Tobin
Photo?

Ronmar

Looks retracted/off to me. If you start the truck, and with the transmission in N, set the ex brake switch to the warmup position. That should apply air to the cylinder and extend the cylinder/engage the ex brake butterfly to load the engine and warm it up faster…

you could also remove that braided airline, and apply air to that end of the cylinder to extend it.

TGeorge

Looks retracted/off to me. If you start the truck, and with the transmission in N, set the ex brake switch to the warmup position. That should apply air to the cylinder and extend the cylinder/engage the ex brake butterfly to load the engine and warm it up faster…

you could also remove that braided airline, and apply air to that end of the cylinder to extend it.
Great Info. I've already tried injecting shop air into the "extend end" of the cylinder, no joy, stuck fast. The good news is it is stuck open, not shut. Thanks a bunch. Time to soak that mess in a bucket of penetrating oil. I'm going to start it up as you describe, and loosen that JIC fitting and see it I'm getting air at the cylinder too.

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great Info. I've already tried injecting shop air into the "extend end" of the cylinder, no joy, stuck fast. The good news is it is stuck open, not shut. Thanks a bunch. Time to soak that mess in a bucket of penetrating oil. I'm going to start it up as you describe, and loosen that JIC fitting and see it I'm getting air at the cylinder too.
Just pull the front and rear E-clips and take it off the shafts, then you can test it with the warmup button for function check. My unit was also seized when I got it, but squirting high temp lube and working the butterfly valve got it back to smooth after a while.

TGeorge

Just pull the front and rear E-clips and take it off the shafts, then you can test it with the warmup button for function check. My unit was also seized when I got it, but squirting high temp lube and working the butterfly valve got it back to smooth after a while.
Thanks. I pulled the two marmon clamps and took the entire unit to the work bench. Seized completely. Penetrating lube, big hammers, large rosebud torches and almost my entire vocabulary would not get things turning. I drilled out the retaining set screw, and drilled a 7/32 hole through the blind boss on the side opposite the bellcrank. Then I was able to press out the shaft with a large arbor press. Nasty rusty mess. Wire brushes and scotch brite. Then the shaft need a visit to the chiropractor as the removal process left it a bit bent. Tapped the hole in the boss for 5/16 x 24 Reassembled with some PTFE lube (no idea if that will work long term, but it was the only "HI_TEMP" fucka doo I had handy. Now it works great. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks