• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust for a turbo multi-fuel

CaBoy72

I am doing an enigine swap to exchange my non turbo to a turbo motor. I have yet to find any kind of muffler for the new exaust sytem. is there a muffler for the turbo? plus does anyone know if the new turbo exaust kits come with the air intake ducting?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No muffler on the turbo. The swap over kits I've seen on e-bay look like they have everything but the turbo itself. Some people put a muffler on the vertical stack, but there is none underneath. You do realize that to make a plain LD-465 into an LDT-465, the only thing that is changed is the addition of the turbo and kit to the standard engine (and some adjustments to the injector system - but no parts needed there).

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The turbo was added to reduce smoke.....not to gain performance.

Unless you are putting in an LDS multi-fuel in there will be very little gain in performance.

There have been several threads that show the addition of a muffler to deuces of various kinds.

CaBoy72

No muffler on the turbo. The swap over kits I've seen on e-bay look like they have everything but the turbo itself. Some people put a muffler on the vertical stack, but there is none underneath. You do realize that to make a plain LD-465 into an LDT-465, the only thing that is changed is the addition of the turbo and kit to the standard engine (and some adjustments to the injector system - but no parts needed there).
Thank you and yes I now about the turbo but my old motor needs head work and I found a great deal on a reman LDT 465 so I am just going to swap motors.

Last edited:

CaBoy72

The turbo was added to reduce smoke.....not to gain performance.

Unless you are putting in an LDS multi-fuel in there will be very little gain in performance.

There have been several threads that show the addition of a muffler to deuces of various kinds.
Yes wrecker man I know I won't gain performance but I do want to limit the smoke. living here in California tomany do-gooders frown on all the black smoke. My LD 465 was sitting for a while and the valve guides dried up as well as the head gasket is leaking on the rear head. From what I have found to have the heads rebuilt I found a complete motor with turbo already to go. So I decided to do the swap over rebuilding it myself. But thanks for the info. I am trying to have this all done by May so dad can drive it in the parade. I will post some pics when I finish the whole project.

Blendmaster2002

Here’s a few threads on turbo install there is more just search,

Non-Turbo to turbo
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?29308-Non-Turbo-to-turbo&referrerid=19939

Converting M35A2 non turbo into Turbo?
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...g-M35A2-non-turbo-into-Turbo&referrerid=19939

Here’s some muffler threads:

Muffler on a multi-fuel...?
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77251-Muffler-on-a-multi-fuel&referrerid=19939

I added a Muffler, in Disguise!!
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?38978-I-added-a-Muffler-in-Disguise!!&referrerid=19939

Heres my muffler thread- Walker 21470 Muffler install
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?98832-Walker-21470-Muffler-install&referrerid=19939

In my opinion a muffler is one of the best things you can do for everyone, but still need ear plugs for longer highway stints because of drivetrain noise, all the deuces that came to the SoCal pre-doomsday meet had a muffler, by chance they happen to be the same muffler I used, a little different on mounting and location.

dmetalmiki

Interesting to note the comments about power..well we put a turbo onto our fire truck (M45) and Lo..Much more power..sails up hills now even fully loaded with 12 tons of water! and it has never, been driven with the throttle to the floor or even near! (and the exaust ( with a muffler used to come out between the wheels))..has a straight through "up" deuce stack now. sounds and performs fantastic.

sandcobra164

The exhaust system is not complicated and there was no muffler originally installed on the Turbo trucks. I installed one and it helped quite a bit. I'm now saving up to run the exhaust out under the bed and possibly exit above the tandems on the passenger side. I think locating the exhaust exit further rearward will help with sound quite a bit. I'm also planning an electric fan install and removing the direct drive fan but that's another project unrelated to your thread.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting to note the comments about power..well we put a turbo onto our fire truck (M45) and Lo..Much more power..sails up hills now even fully loaded with 12 tons of water! and it has never, been driven with the throttle to the floor or even near! (and the exaust ( with a muffler used to come out between the wheels))..has a straight through "up" deuce stack now. sounds and performs fantastic.
Yes, but how is the IP adjusted? As per TM specs (you would have had to turn down fuel injection quantity as per TM)? The LDT's will pull amazingly with the fuel turned up, but you need - have to have - an EGT gauge to prevent cooking the turbo..and pistons, especially when running them at weight and/or speed.

anthonyamato4

If your looking for a muffler for your turbo exhaust system this is the one i used. i found it on a thread on here and it is easy and works great and still sounds great with out that really loud bark but you still keep alot of sound and you dont loose the whistle. its a donaldson muffler part number m070028 hope that this is what your looking for