• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust gasket question

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replacing the j pipe on my turbo deuce with a good used one and found the remnants of a gasket between the flex pipe just after the turbo and the j-pipe.

Ive never seen gaskets used on v-band setups before.

If I do not replace the gasket between the flex pipe and the j-pipe, will the v-band seal the joint or do I need to source a gasket?

Is there an off the shelf replacement available at Auto Zone or O-reileys? If so, what can I cross reference it as?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

When Hammer and I swaped my turbo, I dont believe we replace that gasket, but I had been up for over 30 hours at the time of the swap, so my memory is a little fuzzy.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will be fine with no gasket. Install it clean and you'll be ok.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use a block of wood with emery cloth on it to make sure the turbo end is flat and clean and it'll be OK w/o a gasket.

Jake0147

When a V-band clamp joins a joint with flat mating surfaces, a gasket should be used. The gasketless ones have a tapered mating surface to make the seal.

That said, they almost always work just fine without the gasket. Make sure it's a clean and flat joint. Further, in an exhaust such as this where there is lots of smoke (particulate matter that clings to whatever it touches...), you have an endless supply of "fix-a-flat" being pumped through the system. Aim for perfect, but if it's really close but not quite perfect... it'll probably be perfect before long.

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Confirmed. Installed the J-pipe with no gasket and no detectable leaks.

I hope this thread helps someone else searching this topic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks