• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust leaks, exhaust manifold flange.

kallisti5

I noticed the other day that the drivers side while driving was a *lot* more "exhausty" than the passenger side.
I rigged up a plastic bottle with an air fitting and pressurized the exhaust system with 5psi. Had a moderate exhaust leak at the drivers side exhaust header + flange connector with some noticeable soot.

exhaust-ballgag.jpg

Purchased a new set of gasket donuts (I *think* this will fit "Fel-Pro 60556") and plan on swapping it + the spring bolts.
Just a heads up, these exhaust gaskets are over 30 years old now... might be time to swap them if you haven't yet :)

kallisti5

Neighbor came over and thought I had lost my marbles :ROFLMAO:

They make exhaust smokers, but without the engine running, it's pretty easy to figure out where leaks big enough to worry about are. If you're really paranoid you could do the "soapy water in a sprayer" trick... but I think that's overkill.

The CDR valve stays closed well... air isn't getting past the piston into the crank case, and every cylinder has one closed valve(i think?)... so any air loss is technically a leak.

For anyone who wants to give it a try... that's a lime juice bottle which fits perfectly in the exhaust tip *and* has a thick enough bottom to hold an air fitting self-tapped into it.

Just don't go over 5psi... you don't want to explode the bottle.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks