• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust out the back or side?

Bcurtman

I am sure that someone on here had done this mod, but I can't find it back... I'm interested in running my deuce exhaust either out the rear of the truck or out the side. If you have done this, please let me know what size you used and throw up some pics for me. It would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to hear how satisifed / unsatisfied you were with the results.

I love driving my truck, but even with a good muffler, the noise after 50 miles or so wears on me-especially with the passenger side window down. My son is usually the passenger, and I dont want his hearing to end up like mine. Huh?

MrM4

Ive thought about running a 4 inch pipe just in front of the Rear Pass. tire, then turning out just high enough to dump the smoke in the drivers window of all those Rice Burners......:twisted:

On a serious note, maybe a muffler would be another option to consider, I dont know how much smoke you truck can blow but my 72 MF can black out a lane of traffic if you bog it. Lowering the exaust might be not be very pleasent for those people behind you, just a thought.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gassers and the early 427 multifuel trucks had it out the rear between the tires. Call memphis and order a set for the multi's.

RodUSMC1962

In the early 60`s the pipe came out beteen the rear duals, and that is where the fording exaust extension bolted on . If you were unlucky to be sitting behind that ,depending on speed and wind you got gassed. Ask me how I know. These were gas trucks not mulifuels. :driver:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been considering adding rear exit dual exhaust and using 4" sewer pipe.:doghead:

Bcurtman

I dont plan on hauling people in the bed. I do have a high end 3-1/2" in and out muffler on it, and it is still dang loud. I had it straight up with a rain cap, now a 90 turned out-not much difference. I wonder how much engine / tranny noise there still is without the exhaust noise. I dont want to have to wear muffs to go for a drive. Im hoping someone chimes in who has done it.

jrobinson5093

I would love to see a truck with four inch pipe run to the very back and split into duals and exit at a 45 degree angle behind the rear tires with a five inch tip.

Capt.Marion

You are wearing hearing protection, right? Even with a muffler, the exhaust noise (especially combined with the rest of the road noise) is still damagingly loud. This is coming from a decent amount of personal experience.

Last edited:

Clay James

Moving it up does make a difference. When I installed a muffer on my 109 I didn't shorten the stack to stock length so it is up pretty high. I really don't hear much exhaust noise now from the cab. Mostly what's left is engine and transmission and transfer case noise. I plan on sound proofing the cab next since this is the one I take on long trips.

sandcobra164

I've got a muffler and wear ear plugs when driving. I can still hear my whistler spool when I get on the throttle, I can hear the engine fan and at around 45 mph, the trans or transfer case picks up a whine as well. I agree with Capt. Marion, there are alot of issues to work around to make a Deuce quiet. I like the rear exhaust idea but for my cheap budget, earplugs or muffs do the trick.

Katahdin

Early LD-465s went out the rear too, my 66' M109 still has the brackets. Here's some supporting documentation:

TM 9-2320-209-10-1 (September 1980)

(3) On earlier model M44A2 series trucks with LD465-1 and LD465-lC engines,
the exhaust system (fig. 2-9) is made up of front and rear exhaust pipes, muffler, and tail-
pipe. The exhaust pipes are connected directly to the manifold.

Figure 2-9 Exhaust System Location (LD 465-1-1C Engine).

1. Manifold

2. Exhaust Pipe

3. Muffler

4. Tailpipe

Attachments

Kohburn

need a better muffler?

after replacing my whistler with a D turbo and using an aero turbine muffler the loudest thing in my cab at 50mph is the gearbox