• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Expandabile Van Drivability

bob599

My thoughts are now a M939A2 tractor (not sure about the number but the tractor with the 8.3 Turbo is what im talking about ) and a M109 box. Slide the box all the way forward and remove the spare tire carrier. Have a pass through to the box from the cab. Put a lift gate on the back to carry a couple bikes or ATV. Install the spare tire on the outside of the liftgate. I will still need a small ramp to get bikes and quads on the lift since it wont go all the way down with the spare mounted. Some insulationin the cab, 2 comfy maybe air ride seats and I have an excellent Expedition Rig! I always wanted a unicat or GXV type rig with a unimog or equivelant, but 500,000 price tag is a bit much. Under 20,000 for this rig and its fantastic. Gets the same mileage, goes the same cruising speed, as the mentioned rigs but even better off road performance. Plus its even more unique.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The van truck has a lot of space. I really don't drive it much I am using mine for storage right now. I am a recent lmtv convert though so if I was going to make something small into a road going camper with some offroad capability I would do it to a lmtv truck. The ride is 5 times better than the van and 10 times better than a bare m931a2 tractor. With no trailer that thing bounces all over the place.

bob599

The liftgate has a 4,000lb weight rating so the spare is no problem. Interesting about the LMTV! Suprman What is your freeway cruise speed on that? I have heard they ride great. I have driven a M931 A2 Tractor so I hear you but thought the $4,000 lb M 109 Box would smooth it out.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
57mph maybe 60 downhill. The highways here in CT are horrible. Construction and bumps everywhere. With the tractor you bounce around its bone jarring. With the lmtv you just drive like you would a normal truck. No bouncing no bone jarring. The acceleration is better. The old school guys will tell you it's harder to fix and they are right but I will take that trade for significantly more comfort. Plus you have 3 bucket seats each with a proper seatbelt. Although not up to modern standards I believe the lmtv is significantly safer in a crash compared to the older trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks