• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Expandable body worth $800.00???

Towman2277

I Haven't went and picked it up yet...still waiting on it to be cleaned out completely. I'll post some pics of the move here as soon as I get the phone call. Thanks!

Sarge

Expandible bodies

Well, I see that the original post was almost a year ago. Did you ever buy it? I would absolutely pay $800 for one of those bodies. Even if I only used it as a storage shed, it would still be worth that much cash to me.
Because of all the other photo's showing expando vans, I have attached two photo's of my M820. The first one is a rear 3/4 shot which just shows door location and new paint. The second one shows that the body is set back on the frame so that a spare 11:00x20 tire fits nicely between the body and the truck cab.
Memory Lane....
In Germany during Reforger (REturn of FORces to GERmany) exercises we would assemble a couple of hundred of these vans parked close enough together to lay steel grating catwalks between them. We would then have a HQ set up 4 feet off the mud. Sometimes these set-ups covered more than two football fields. Camouflaging the entire set-up took hundreds of soldiers but the end result was awesome. An absolutely irrestible target. Thank goodness for remote radio and radar technology. The only downside was the enormous heat signature. We would often set up close to a power generating station or some other buildings that gave off massive amounts of IR generation as a disguise. The last day of the month long exercise we were always discovered and "destroyed". Ah well.... at least it meant we could go home and take a hot bath.... Yippee!!!
-Sarge

Attachments

Mike_Pop

I had one of these (without the truck) and was going to use it as a shop. Unfortunately, it was too freaking heavy to haul from NJ to my home in NV. So, I parked it at my friend's farm and used it for storage. It was great to put all of my Jeep and mv parts in. I finally went back home to NV and he is still using it for storage. Opened up, they are about 14'x17'. I paid $500 for mine and tried to sell it but I had zero interest in it. Good luck with yours!

jasonjc

4 or 5 of them just sold at ft Reily for 150-300 with 5 ton frames and wheels. The trucks where striped but the boxes look fair to good.

kc8sfq

>It takes a few guys a few minutes to pushout the walls and get it set up.<

I can open mine in 15 min by my self (less if it's raining)

>MAKE SURE IT WORKS. When the walls didnt work, it was a nightmare to get it fixed.<

A friend of mine has one that's borked. The middle two side-wall racks are out of time and the side walls are bowed (one in and the other out). We may end up scrapping it and make a LWB covered wagon (m36?) out of it.

It weighs 8800 pounds. If you have to lift it, hire a crane and use the lifting shackles. even at that weight, the T.O. still says I can put 5000lbs on the floor and another 10,000 on the hitch. I've had an M-37 on the hitch and almost never got into high gear. Climbing a hill on a state two-lane highway, at one point I was into low range and down to 3rd gear. She's a non turbo, I was making a LOT of smoke. The M-292a2 is WAY heavy, the only reason they were mounted on a duce frame is so they'd fit in a C-141.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks