• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Expansible Van Body Corroded Stuck!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Expansible Van Body Corroded Stuck!

I'm surprised no one has done this before, regarding visuals of the expandable van body:

nopics

mdd0127

Banned
Unfortunately, my camera is WORTHLESS!

I promise I'll get some decent pics up soon.

I figured out what I'm going to have to do to get the last latch freed up. I'll either have to drill a hole through the rear vertical beam and use a big punch to beat the latch out, or actually cut the section of the rear beam out, free up the latch through the access panel once it's expanded, then weld the beam back up. I don't have the tools or help to do it out here so I'm just going to take care of it when I get back to the mountains.

I'm having a female dog of a time getting trailer lights figured out and need to pick up a temporary permit at the DMV tomorow. I'm hoping to get going tomorrow if I get everything squared away.

Rickyoday

I had one of these trucks with the same problem. I did the same PB Blaster routine which helped alot, but the way I freed my stuck latches was by using the side expansion ratchet to slightly force the stuck latch pin. Set the ratchet to expand the side, and then exand the side as far as it will go...which will be about a quater of an inch, if that. Go up onto the roof of the van body, and spay PB into the latch if possible. Then retract the side back tight to the body. I did that about 5 times to my M292 and was then able to make the 1/4 turn. By openeing and closing the side even a fraction of an inch, it must have loosened the rusty latch. I hope I described that in an understandable way. I know what I mean, I just hope I'm describing the process in a way that makes sense! Nowadimean? Rick.

Elwenil

Do you have all the braces and accessories to go with the body? You should just bring that thing on East and park it here. I'll fix it if I get to use it, lol.

kc8sfq

mdd0172: Is that your expando in the pix? in the open position? If you have it open, you are over half way there. Go on top of the wall and use the PB on the top latch. It is almost guaranteed to be the problem. remove the access panel and pull the clevis pin for the top latch, that will confirm that the top is the problem. Take a look at the rack and pinion mechanism and you'll see why it's a bad idea to force it. It ain't as heavy as it could be.

Good luck.

A later edit: After re examining the pix, I'll bet the one side that's open isn't the problem. You might be able to sneak in under the top lip and shoot some PB on top of the top latch.

mdd0127

Banned
I'm completely done fighting with it. I tried to loosen it up using the ratchet and have drowned it in every conceivable fluid but it is really stuck. My next major purchase will be a cobra torch kit. I'll cut the back panel where the latch engages, free it up, then weld the back panel back up.

kc8sfq

From the looks of your interior, you've had water down the inside of the walls. Mine did too. You have aluminum skin and a steel frame. You might get away with drilling out some rivets and pealing the skin back. Do your self a favor and pull the inspection cover off the open side, that'll help you understand the mechanicals. Do your self a favor and start with the top dead bolt on the stuck side.

Good luck

mdd0127

Banned
I finally got it! I was able to jam a bar in the rear latch and free it. Then I ratcheted the body out a few inches and used a big pry bar on the top latch. Once I got it open, I pulled the inspection cover and pulled the pins out. It is actually seized in the mechanism, not at the latch end. I'm going to pull all four out and weld 1 inch nuts to the stupid square things. The mechanism is very stout and that way I could use the same wrench to expand the body and work the latches. It's like a mansion in there now! I can't wait to start adding solar electric and heating systems. I'm actually playing with the idea of spending a Colorado winter in it instead of going south. We'll see. I'll start a new thread when I start upgrading/modifying it.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Congratulations on getting your expando to open up! I've always been curious about these kinds of bodies. I've had a couple of shop vans, and in both cases the windows weren't in great shape because the wooden portions dried up, shrunk, and pulled away from the metal frames, so that the windows were falling apart and didn't seal well. I always suspected that an expansible van body wouldn't keep out the rain too well after 25+ years of use and abuse, so I'm interested in hearing how well yours seals up, and whether it'll take a bunch of work to renovate it.

For some reason, I have some inexplicable interest in things like expansible vans, commo shelters, and so forth. A friend of mine has one of the parts storage semi-trailers that doesn't expand like yours, but the sides fold open to provide more work area. It looks really cool. There's also one of the M944A1 SEORTM "batwing" trucks coming up at GL soon. It's tempting me, but it looks like the machine tools have been stripped out, so hopefully I'll be able to resist the urge to bid on it! :wink:

mdd0127

Banned
nf6x said:
Congratulations on getting your expando to open up! I've always been curious about these kinds of bodies. I've had a couple of shop vans, and in both cases the windows weren't in great shape because the wooden portions dried up, shrunk, and pulled away from the metal frames, so that the windows were falling apart and didn't seal well. I always suspected that an expansible van body wouldn't keep out the rain too well after 25+ years of use and abuse, so I'm interested in hearing how well yours seals up, and whether it'll take a bunch of work to renovate it.

For some reason, I have some inexplicable interest in things like expansible vans, commo shelters, and so forth. A friend of mine has one of the parts storage semi-trailers that doesn't expand like yours, but the sides fold open to provide more work area. It looks really cool. There's also one of the M944A1 SEORTM "batwing" trucks coming up at GL soon. It's tempting me, but it looks like the machine tools have been stripped out, so hopefully I'll be able to resist the urge to bid on it! :wink:
I can already answer your question. It doesn't seal at all! I can see daylight through every joint and the roof leaks. All of the interior plywood will need to be replaced and I need parts for a few of the windows, new seals, and some other misc stuff. When I have cash in hand, I'll start looking for the parts. For now, I just have to strategically place my water damageable belongings and 5-gallon buckets when it rains. No big deal.

I'll have to look up the M944's. I'm not familiar with that model. For now, I'm looking for a shortened deuce or longbed CUCV to pull behind the M292 and use as a daily driver. I'm hooked on MV's now for sure.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
mdd0127 said:
I can already answer your question. It doesn't seal at all! I can see daylight through every joint and the roof leaks. All of the interior plywood will need to be replaced and I need parts for a few of the windows, new seals, and some other misc stuff. When I have cash in hand, I'll start looking for the parts. For now, I just have to strategically place my water damageable belongings and 5-gallon buckets when it rains. No big deal.
Bummer! I'm not at all surprised, though. Well, Harbor Freight sells cheap tarps... ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks