• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Expansible Van" Question

bajajoaquin

I've been lurking around for about a year, but was just prompted to ask a question.

This truck on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M35A...ryZ80765QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That body is what's known as an "expansible van," right? I though I'd seen them on the long M36 before, but not on the M35.

How common are these bodies? I wouldn't take apart a fully-functioning rig like that, but if I were to find a shell, it would make a hell of a camper....

Thanks!

acetomatoco

The water pure body with the erdlator set up is not an expansible van body.. It has a door right side and rear and the left side opens in the center half up and half down. It is extremely heavy with an uneven floor of steel deck plate and many holes for pipes and plumbing and the heaters take up all of granny's attic. I had two of them a while back. Sold one to a Dentist. and stripped out the other one and put the body on the ground and use it for storage of parts and stuff.. They are not even remotely waterproof and have a hatch in the roof etc etc... The expansible van bodies are usually lightweight with slideouts like a camper and not too tight environmentally. I have an instrument repair shop on a 6 ton semi'trailer which was heated and airconditioned and the roof is about 10 separate pieces of tin which move on each other and leak like a sieve.

tamangel

"...The expansible van bodies are usually lightweight with slideouts like a camper ..."

Its my understanding that the M series(ie: M292A2) 'Expansible' (sp?) vans do not slide out like a camper. They fold out which precludes any equipment installations except in the center section..

see this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=135134&highlight=#135134

looks like the newer XM1087 Expandable Van FMTV do have 'slide outs'..

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m1087.htm

Mike

Attachments

area52

As an owner of one of these "expansible vans", I will chime in here:

the sides do slide out but the floor and ceiling are folded up (and down) against the side when retracted.

I was thinking of adding tracks that cabinets/beds/equipment slide out onto when expanded.

The chassis is a long wheel base one( M49A2C? can't remember) on which the van body (M4?) sits.

Look in the TM section under the 313 trailer and its shows the operation pretty good.

nattieleather

Yeah what area52 said!.... You can't mount anything in the exspanded area because they fold in. You crank the side wall out and then fold out the floor and celing which are cantalevered for easy fold.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I have the worlds worst internet connection today - so can't post mroe pix. HOWEVER - this topic has been covered in the past couple of months, including photos. Expansible vans come on either deuce (which I have) or five ton chassis. And the only openings are the two rear doors, and a doorway in each side. The water purification and shop bodies open an entire side to the elements.

I'd like to trade my expansible van for a water purificaiton truck (with the stuff in it)....

Regards,
David

Mike_Pop

I owned an expansible van body for about a year. I used it for storage. It was a great place to keep things dry. I wound up giving it to another guy to use as storage. He kept it on the ground like I did so he had no use for the stabilizer legs. If anyone is in need of the legs and pads, send me a pm. I would be willing to sell them if I can't find a use for them.

Mike_Pop

How common are these bodies? I wouldn't take apart a fully-functioning rig like that, but if I were to find a shell, it would make a heck of a camper....
There was one on eBay in SoCal a few months ago. It was tan and around $5K. I think it is an SS member that owns it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks