• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Expectations of M35

Daleksandrovich

Hello I am new not only to the forum, but to the m35 as well. I'd like to glean as much information on what to expect when looking to purchase a Deuce and what to look for? I'm looking to procure one for hauling hay and other ranch supplies as strange as that sounds! Being able to run an additional vehicle off our diesel fuel is an added bonus. Thank you and be patient with me, I'm new!

sandcobra164

They are nice trucks. Look at the basics that you would check on any truck. Tires, fluids, brakes, blowby, etc. Look out for folks that point to a little triangle tag on the driver's door frame for a MWO or ¨Modification Work Order¨ for seatbelts and they try to refer to it as a rebuild tag. They get about 10 mpg in my experience and you can run them on waste motor oil, vegetable oil or practically anything somewhat petroleum based so long as you filter it properly. I just hope you're not in a hurry because while you can push one to go 55 on stock 9r20 tires or about 62 mph on 11r20 tires. I have 11r20's and prefer to run along around 45 to 48 mph, it just sounds alot less stressed out at those speeds. I think it would make a great farm truck for hauling hay. It can haul alot more than that but once again, don't be in a big hurry and make sure to understand up front that they've not been used by the military for quite some time and will likely need some maintenance. Alot of people bought them about 5 or more years ago when you could get a running truck that had been sitting for quite some time with the intent of ¨flipping¨. Some flipper's were honest people who serviced the trucks before selling. I've seen many who did just enough to get the truck off base and sell it for about 3 times what they paid. Back then, you could get a running truck in decent shape that at most would need batteries for around $1,000 bucks. I paid $1,045 for mine in October of 2009. 1971 Model, straight sheetmetal, very little rust, everything but the batteries was good to go. Put a set of batteries in, checked it over good and drove 150 miles home and the only issue was a leaking outer axle seal. A truck in that condition today at a GL auction would likely go for around $3,500 or so and a private seller might ask in the neighborhood of 6 to 8 thousand considering its now sitting on fresh 11R20 Firestone T831s, has new batteries, fairly new canvas and soft top, spin on oil filters, bypassed FDC and a muffler. I'm not in the market to sell my truck, I'm just trying to toss some perspective out there. Uncle Sam has very few of these left to auction and the market has gone up on these.

EWhytsell

A deuce would be perfect for the job if your not in a hurry, or simply to large to fit in the cab. Otherwise you'll just be looking at maint things any old truck would have. Not sure if you require 6x6 or 4x4, but as mentioned the price of these trucks is up and there are much better and slightly more modern trucks out there for less money if you don't need the offroad ability.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's going to be a farm truck, you might look at the 5 ton series - Uncle is still getting rid of them. They will haul twice the weight and some of the 900 series (but just a few models) will do highway speeds.

61sleepercab

I have both a deuce and a M900 series 5ton. I would suggest that you bum a drive/ride in both before you finally decide which to buy. The trucks are about the same length and width, but the 5 ton is a lot taller cab. The M900 series has power steering which is a big plus even for off road work. The 250 Cummings is easier to get off the shelf filters, but the M900's cannot be tow or coast started b/o automatic transmission. M900 series 5 tons may be a little bit cheaper than a deuce because there is a lot of them being surplussed now by Uncle Sam and because people like the multifuel engines in some deuces . Good luck..... Mark

Daleksandrovich

Good to know thank you. I am looking for a 4x4 model capable of being driven mainly in the snowy months. They seem to be overpriced as stated here in Fruitland,ID. Wiggall I live north of sweet which is southwest part of Idaho. I wish I could find someone near by that has one to ask questions and ride in one. We can't find a decent pickup to haul with for less than $13-16000 and high miles.

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
The Deuce is a small truck. If you look for a reliable vehicle instead of a 1ton- pick up, you're fine.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?63394-Uses-for-Deuces&p=880072&viewfull=1#post880072
This is about 3 tons hay. Thats enough. High enough, heavy enough. More is a pain to drive.
I've hauled 4 tons gravel without problems, she drives normal.

Look for a truck with dropside bed (that means the sides are hinged) and air shift front axle (a little switch under the dash, that engages the front axle)
With a few mods they are great trucks.

Last edited:

Doug Roberts

There were 9 M35A2Cs that came off Warner Robins AFB in GA a couple of months ago now. I got one of them home 2 weeks back after a long EUC wait. The lowest of these 9 trucks went for $3,800 I think and went up to $4,700. They all were 1987 , '89 models without a winch.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you're still too far away for me to let ya ride in mine, I'm in Northern Utah along the I-15 corridor.

But what these folks have all said is true, except most truck prices over here cost thousands more. My opinion is that's because the West here has many less military bases, thus, less equipment to be auctioned.

I'm a bit baffled though, a comment earlier made it sound as the more modern 5 tons are less off road capable. Is that because of higher gearing?

61sleepercab

You may need to check local rules on need of CDLs for 5 tons. If you are a parade truck or hauling for your self and not commercially for others you are not a commercial driver under the rules. In WV you need a chauffers licence the same as if you are driving a motor home bus with air brakes. If you are hauling for pay for others, then you need CDLs.
Hope that helps. Mark

whiskey357

Banned
Howdy and welcome to the green maddness......really a batch of 80's m35a2 went on the block in GA.....like 3months ago.......look at the web site for Gov Liq. there are still some m35a2anda3s out there.........a good place to do checks on this stuff is the local libary and the local National Guard unit call them and ask for a tour and info if possible....I did and glad I did..learn a few tricks that uncle sam is doing to switch trucks around...heheh good stuff.....Nice people there and they can help you .......also call the local DRMO for your area....lots of nice people work there also...Helped me a bunch......check it out doesnt cost you anything.......again welcome to the Green maddness heheheheh you love and then go broke...lots of stuff to buy....lGood hunting and best of luck...