• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Expensive sound from rear diff in turns

steve87

Driving around the other day i suddenly had a hard time making sharp turns. I noticed it when i pulled into a parking spot. The rear wheels felt like they were locked together. Half way through a turn it would make a loud popping sound and turn. I got home and took off the rear plate on my diff and saw that the magnet had collected a lot of shavings.

I don't know know much about differentials. The two small gears in the middle seemed to have their teeth eaten up a bit. I can drive normally without any problems. Only in tight tuns it locks and pops.

I want to know if there is any easy way to replace those gears. Can i go to a bone yard and throw those gears in? Can i get different gears all together? I am just looking to get my truck running at the lowest cost. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I can get pictures if that helps.

-Steve

Alredneck

Banned
I will be in Provo near the end of June. I can bring ya a whole pull out (drum to drum ) for $350 If you want it faster then can ship it through your shipper. Just a option.

steve87

Thanks, Ill have to think about. Don't have a lot of money to spend atm. If i can't find another option i will definitely use that axle.

burbn10

If that is a 10-bolt with a G80 locker, I would be prepared for catastrophe soon... If it is locking up like that at low speeds, it is ready to blow.... My Suburban had the same diff and did the same thing. Two days later it shot a chunk of the carrier through the diff cover while leaving a stop light...

As far as changing those spider gears, those are part of the differential carrier assembly and as far as I know, only come with complete differentials.

neatocj

It sounds like you might have a cooking grenade. You can get a new carrier along with ring gear and pinion as well as spider gears. You should be able to buy spider gears alone. You should tear down the axle and wash it out to collect any other shavings and replace the whole carrier assembly.

Buddy had a yota with a 350 in it and at 60 mph rear axle det. on him, rolled twice...Got lucky he was ok. Idiot asked to do it again...You shouldn't want to.

Last edited by a moderator:

HAWKMAN

Driving around the other day i suddenly had a hard time making sharp turns. I noticed it when i pulled into a parking spot. The rear wheels felt like they were locked together. Half way through a turn it would make a loud popping sound and turn. I got home and took off the rear plate on my diff and saw that the magnet had collected a lot of shavings.

I don't know know much about differentials. The two small gears in the middle seemed to have their teeth eaten up a bit. I can drive normally without any problems. Only in tight tuns it locks and pops.

I want to know if there is any easy way to replace those gears. Can i go to a bone yard and throw those gears in? Can i get different gears all together? I am just looking to get my truck running at the lowest cost. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I can get pictures if that helps.

-Steve
Too bad your so far away, I could do a T/O rear complete for $150.00.....if I can figure out a way to put a couple stamps on it and send through USPS I'll let you know!:lol:

AJMBLAZER

Yes. Best option is to find a complete axle as 3.08 geared 6 lug rear ends for this vintage truck are not uncommon and go cheap. Even better would be to find an open diff'd one and avoid the G80 Grenade Lock again.

transman

The G80 option code from Gm has long been considered junk. If your truck is a boulavard cruiser go for an open diff. Cheap & plentyful. If you get in the dirt an eaton limited slip is worth the time and effort I'm not sure about retail but my cost from Randys ring&pinion is only about $335.

AJMBLAZER

Skip the limited slips. About useless offroad when you really need traction. Lift a tire and they might as well be open diffs. A locker is better in all situations where traction is needed and if you drive sensibly then they aren't hard to live with.

A lunch box (in carrier) locker goes for less than a limited slip and you can install it yourself.

transman

I agree that a true locker of any brand would be better in most off road situations than a LS . But I doubt an avid off roader would have been asking the questions that the person that started this thread asked.

AJMBLAZER

A-He lives in Utah. Lots of wheeling out there.

B-He said lowest cost possible. Buying and then paying someone to setup a limited slip and the gears won't be cheap.

steve87

Yea, i live here in Utah. I haven't gone wheelin yet. I have only taken it out in the desert a few times. It is my daily driver so i don't want to risk anything. Unfortunately it is down now so i have a hard time getting places. I don't have a lot of money right now because of college. So i want to go with the cheapest option that works.

steve87

Thanks.

What causes those gears to go? Just years of driving or what. Could it be the fact that my parking brake doesn't work? does that put too much stress on the gears?

AJMBLAZER

It's a failing of that particular differential, the G80 Gov-Lock. There's a reason it's universally despised and known as the Grenade-Lock.

As far as the gears go, the best way is to just count the teeth on the ring gear (big one in the center) and divide that number by the gears on the pinion gear (short stubby one that drives the ring gear). That will tell you the gear ratio.

You can look around on CK5's for sale forum too. Lots of stuff on there and several members in UT.
Tried Craigslist?

dskchevy

If the option code sticker is still in glove box or on some older blazers look on drivers side inner fender well under hood............ code GU4 thats a 3:08............But do the math like AJMBLAZER said to be sure........................

Last edited: