• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Experience buying scrap from GL

Ripcord01

I am wondering if anyone has had experience buying and mutilating scrap from
GL? Without saying to much , how does one have a Goober Employee witness the scrapping of such scrap? Since there is a third party involved in the destruction of scrap and at third parties scrap yard not mine?

Thanks,
Ripcord

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know one company in PA that buys stuff, he hauls it back to his yard, sorts it and just loads it back into dumpsters and takes it right to the smelter. No fuss no muss. Not sure what type of arrangement he has with the GL guys though.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will say that I've bid on several scrap lots. I can't compete with the big boys. I can get a pretty good price from scrap (better prices than the average joe off the street can get) but every lot I've bid on went for more than I could sell it for.

You also have to consider the price fluctuations of scrap also. I know some of the term contracts alow for adjustments in the price with the market but most scrap lots don't. When you buy a given lot the price may be "X" but by the time all the paperwork gets done and the mutilation gets done the price could fall to "Y".

Unless you can get it real cheap or have a buyer willing to comit to a price before you bid, it's big risk buying scrap.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's why I've never bid on scrap lots. Most military bases have an established scrap dealer nearby. that has had a decades-long relationship with the base and dealing with their scrap material. They know what the base produces, what it's worth, and since they are close by, hauling it isn't a problem. Richmond VA has SIMSMETAL outside off of I-95, they are there all the time. Back when surplus was sold at live auctions, and the lots came up that were scrap related, I didn't even bother, and most others didn't either, cuz the SIMS guys would be there with a bag of cash and a truck waiting outside.

The only time I would bid on scrap lots is if the material is worth more to me as parts than as scrap metal, like a residue truck. Also, I would bid on lots of cartridge brass, as it is worth good money when sorted and no demil is required, at least for the smaller stuff like .50 BMG and smaller. But for most scrap lots, sold as scrap and mutilation is required, the big boys know what the material is worth and how to get it to market best. Save your cash for another lot....

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The established scrap dealers seem to also have more lead-way as far as mutilation is concerned. They still have to mutilate it but the DOD personnel won't look over their shoulder the whole time. They may just come by after it's mutilated and inspect because they've dealt with them before and know they will do it right.

One has to also wonder if there aren't some favors being handed around also. It happens.

Ripcord01

I can see the "favors" and deep pockets of other scrap corps. As an individual buyer, how would I verify the destruction of said product? Do I pay for the DOD employee to witness the destruction?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would be very careful when buying material to scrap out.......I just took a 500 buck azz whipping because I trusted GL's weight quote on a load of aluminum.

They cover their arse with disclaimers so I am not mad at anyone......just 500 bucks lighter.

DicedDeuceMan

if you google search Problems with scrap GL. you will find a lad who filed a complaint, and others for that matter.

His complaint, GL listed Inconel (spell check)

It only had half of the accual weight was inconel, heavy iron for the rest. After he bought it, disputed, it took months, he lost more on the market drop, than the accual refund. meaning , if he would have sold it immediatly, he would have lost less.

When the scrap yard stops bidding againts you, and you win.. You just lost...
Then know what its' worth, not a penny more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks