• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Experience with 24V compliant AC kits

nudewheeler

Howdy Folks -

Been cruising the wealth of knowledge on the SS forum rather extensively over the past few months gearing up an m1009 project. (Yay, hoorah, cheers!) I've read a number of threads of folks generally discussing some of the AC kits for the CUCV trucks, but only a few come to mind of folks who have a kit installed. And I don't recall anyone installing the kit themselves, beside ODIron himself on his extensive m1009 build thread.

Anyways, curious if anyone else more recently can offer any reviews similar to this on any of the 24volt compliant AC kits. I have come across ODIron's, and NAP's kit.

Any major performance differences in kits besides a few franklins? Do any of the above mentioned kits have superior compressor bracket designs? This will be a southern Arizona truck, where 105+ degree days are unfortunately common. I'm looking to make an m1009 ice box.

Has anyone sealed and insulated the cab to maximize use of the AC system as well? Weather stripping, sound/thermal insulative layers like bed liner or dynamat type product?

So, info/experience about the kits, and insulation experience.

Thanks in advance, Steve

kc5mzd

As I understand it the m1009 interior electrical system is 12v - I could be wrong.
If I were adding AC to one I would look for a civi blazer and see if the ac/heater parts will swap then look for a compressor-bracket that will fit the diesel.

Mohawk Dave

As I understand it the m1009 interior electrical system is 12v - I could be wrong.
If I were adding AC to one I would look for a civi blazer and see if the ac/heater parts will swap then look for a compressor-bracket that will fit the diesel.
I will be adding a turbo and air. From what I understand the OEM suburbans had the air on the drivers side. So that OEM bracket should work. And if buying the NAP kit, have them add the hose kit for the civvy blazer, instead of the designated CUCV they sell. Right?

Anyone off hand know where the evap cooler is on the civvy suburban/blazer?-Nevermind- i googled, it goes where our rear battery and distro blocks are. The NAP says theirs goes under the dash.

So, looks like I will need part of the CUCV kit and part of the Civvy kit from NAP.

-Dave

Mohawk Dave

I will be adding a turbo and air. From what I understand the OEM suburbans had the air on the drivers side. So that OEM bracket should work. And if buying the NAP kit, have them add the hose kit for the civvy blazer, instead of the designated CUCV they sell. Right?

Anyone off hand know where the evap cooler is on the civvy suburban/blazer?-Nevermind- i googled, it goes where our rear battery and distro blocks are. The NAP says theirs goes under the dash.

So, looks like I will need part of the CUCV kit and part of the Civvy kit from NAP.

-Dave
Hey SS,

It just hit me. If you plan on doing a turbo and air, the hose kit from the NAP civvy kit probably wouldn't work, as the evap cooler on the civvy kit is under the hood and the NAP kit for CUCVs is under the dash, meaning the hoses wouldn't be long enough or would be irrelevant. Custom ones maybe in order.

Does anyone on this site have turbo and air, with an actual compressor-(meaning not a Vintage air equivalent)?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

darkserra

I'm currently installing the NAP a/c kit. Unfortunately, NAP has discontinued the CUCV kit after I bought mine, as they couldn't get several of the parts they needed from their existing suppliers.

You could get all the pieces you need from them, though, as they sell all the necessary bits. They changed out the underdash evaporator that normally comes with the kit to a heater/defroster/air conditioner evaporator.

This change required me to take out the heater core and route the heater hoses into the new evaporator. It also requires running the air outlets up into the defrost ducts as well as adding the dash vents.

SO FAR.... its been doable, but time consuming. I'm not much of a mechanic (most of what I know I learned in the motor pool), and I doing some other work as well, but I'm taking my time and going slow.

I have already insulated my M1009 with some sound dampening tar paper, a thermal felt blanket and a some heavy vinyl plastic in kits I bought from LMC. I'm hoping this will help keep the cold in.

More to follow as I get the parts in.

DS

Howdy Folks -

Been cruising the wealth of knowledge on the SS forum rather extensively over the past few months gearing up an m1009 project. (Yay, hoorah, cheers!) I've read a number of threads of folks generally discussing some of the AC kits for the CUCV trucks, but only a few come to mind of folks who have a kit installed. And I don't recall anyone installing the kit themselves, beside ODIron himself on his extensive m1009 build thread.

Anyways, curious if anyone else more recently can offer any reviews similar to this on any of the 24volt compliant AC kits. I have come across ODIron's, and NAP's kit.

Any major performance differences in kits besides a few franklins? Do any of the above mentioned kits have superior compressor bracket designs? This will be a southern Arizona truck, where 105+ degree days are unfortunately common. I'm looking to make an m1009 ice box.

Has anyone sealed and insulated the cab to maximize use of the AC system as well? Weather stripping, sound/thermal insulative layers like bed liner or dynamat type product?

So, info/experience about the kits, and insulation experience.

Thanks in advance, Steve