• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exploring my new obsession

rmvivas

Well, much like a kid with a new toy, as soon as I got home from work this morning (I work 2300 - 0700) I started crawling around my M37.

Man this thing is fascinating. I crawled around under it for a bit and am very impressed. It seems like a fellow with a good socket set and a hoist could disassemble the entire vehicle to it's component parts. Much better than my old Subaru or the wifes Chevy.

I like that all the major components have data plates with the description of what it is (wow, thats handy!!!!!!), who made it, when, serial number, etc.

One odd thing I noticed is that there are a couple of plates on the right side (passenger side) of the engine that are in French? Perhaps from Canada? VERY hard to see them but through judicious use of a mirror and light I could make out C.I.M.T. BORDEAUX and DOUBLEX. Everything else like the generator, transmission, etc. have data plates in English with American makers and data. By the way, I noticed a plate on the dash that said the vehicle had been overhauled at Raritan Arsenal in 1968. The transmission cover (I think thats the part) had a plate that said rebuilt in 8/71.

I'm trying to figure out if the winch is original or not. It doesn't look like the ones in the assorted TM's, but it is marked BRADEN. Then an attachment point for a shaft that seems to run to a point on the transmission housing that has a small 6 bolt plate. This seems to match up to a Power Take Off that was loose in a box in the back of the truck. It is marked DANA and from what I can figure, the Dana marked piece bolts onto the side of the transmission (driver side/left) and a shaft runs to the winch. The Front Universal Joint Yoke (as shown in illus. 2-170 in TM 9-2320-212-20) that comes from the winch is broken with one of the 'arms' that makes up the U-shaped piece having snapped off. Also, I will need to find a Power Take Off lever, upper and lower part.

Also in a box was a stamped sheet metal cover that I believe is PAN, W/ PLUG, CLUTCH HOUSING, ASSY 7373383. sO SAYS tm9-1840A. What I don't see is (but may need to look again) is PLATE, PAN, W/ DUST SEAL, CLUTCH HOUSING, ASSY 7351216. Also, when I look under the vehicle I see the bottom half of a large 12 inch or so diameter toothed gear-like thing that looks like it really should have a cover.

Anyway, pictures soon.

EDITED TO ADD: It seems that PLATE, PAN, W/ DUST SEAL, CLUTCH HOUSING, ASSY 7351216 is indeed present. It does have several old style paperfastener clips (the kind that look like a mushroom with a split stem). What are these for?

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

Yes you can change colors and all sorts of things. It sounds like your missing the bottom cover of the flywheel. Take some good pics of the questions you have and someone will get to them. I have restored our M-37 from the ground up so I am pretty proficient on the truck.

Again www.g741.org cant stress that enough, worth the time to get posting on there. Here is fine, but there you will get quicker and correct information.

Attachments

WarrenD

Many of us frequent both sites but there are some very smart folks who only hang out over there. Pics are always good! Sounds like the bottom plug in the flywheel cover is missing assuming you have a cover installed.

vtdeucedriver

Many of us frequent both sites but there are some very smart folks who only hang out over there. Pics are always good! Sounds like the bottom plug in the flywheel cover is missing assuming you have a cover installed.

Sounds like he has no cover and If I do remember right, plugs installed only when fording :driver:

L1A1

It does have several old style paperfastener clips (the kind that look like a mushroom with a split stem). What are these for?
They were used to hold a cardboard insulation pad to the upper firewall of the cab. Removed them (clips & what was left of the pad)from my M37 while doing the teardown. Had a bear of a time installing a similar pad in my WC51 when I was restoring it.
Matt

majorhitt

Welcome to the site. Hope I could help with any question. I took what was left of the cardboard and clips from my M37, Not much left to work with, Tried to make a pattern, not much luck. some day I'll get it back in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks