• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Explosive Projectile Crates for M1009

raiburn

Check out my new score. I plan to use the boxes as tool boxes or storage in the back of my '09.
Can anyone ID these?
How 'bout this old Gerry can? It says "OMC" where it usually says "US".
Joe.

MSgt USMC (Ret)

Those are Howitzer crates. I've been told the wood has been treated with a chemical to prevent mold, mildew, rot etc. Do not burn them.

I'd be very careful putting fuel or any other liquid in that can. I use the new plastic Scepter cans, you can't beat them.

The "O" is most likely a "Q".

raiburn

Yeah, the can is pretty rusty. Inside is really not that bad.
I plan on using that pour-in-liner stuff.
I'd like to use it for diesel, so should I paint a yellow strip around it and stencil "DIESEL" on it?
I use a newer red one for Gas.

LanceRobson

As a "food for thought" item, I'm not sure if any fuel can that is that rough should ever be used for anything but a paperweight. Not only would a spill of 5 gallons of diesel present a fire hazard but in most states using a can that rough and having a spill would lead to some pretty hefty fines for negligence. Fuel cans are too common and too inexpensive to risk any of that.

I wonder if having something labeled as high explosives in view would cause a problem in the current political and safety environment?

The crates are ammo crates high explosive rounds for 105mm howitzers. The "w/o fuze" refers to the fact that most artillery ammo (and some 4.2" mortar ammo) was shipped with a plug in place of the fuze since there are many fuze types and they are selected and screwed into the projectile based on the desired effects on the target. The explosive was Composition B, a cheap and stable explosive used in everything from big bombs to hand grenades. The "supplemental charge" refers to a small cylindrical TNT booster charge that sat in the fuze well. It assisted the TNT ignition charge in the fuze in getting the Comp B to detonate and was removed for "deep intrusion" fuzes like proximity fuzes.

Any "Bomb Squad" would know what all the markings mean and I suspect that in the right (or wrong) circumstance they would have no option but to act as if there were live rounds in the crates. A report of boxes marked "high explosive" in the back of a military vehicle might be more than ample cause for alarm. I'd avoid using them unless you have windowless cap or the rear cargo cover mounted.

I just the last week or so the explosive ordinance disposal team from Fort Drum detonated an live artillery projectile , right here in my county, that spent the last 60 or so years sitting on display at a local VFW.

Fort Drum bomb squad detonates shell in Owasco |

Lance

LanceRobson

I guess this hijacks the thread but....

I like that term
I was a mortarman (Indirect Fire Crewman for the Army) I spent the first six years of my career as a Fire Direction Computer back in the days when we did all the ballistic and meteorological computations by hand or with some special slide rule style firing tables, some charts and other firing tables in book form. We were the computers.....

The tactical world has an entire vocabulary of it's own in which many words or phrases have very specific meanings that usually don't mean exactly what somebody outside of the combat arms community would assume.

After adjusting artillery or mortar fire onto the target we don't "beat the s*@t out of it", we (please insert George Carlin's voice here.....) "fire for effect".

Depending on the target and desired effect, the fires for effect might be illumination rounds, smoke. high explosive etc. Then there are a wide variety of fuzing options. Depending on the target size, population or shape the number of rounds might be 1 or 300. So "fire for effect" and "desired effect" become easier to work with in the abstract.

My professional preference for dismounted troops and thin skinned vehicle (truck) was to "shake 'em and bake 'em" with a mix of high explosive set for "super quick" or "proximity" fuzing and white phosphorus. Very few units have the toughness to keep working on their own mission when they get hit with that combination. If they stay on their feet or in their trucks the HE will get them, if they drop to the ground the WP will fry them. Note that "shake 'em and bake 'em" is not exactly a doctrinal term :roll:

Tankers "service" targets by hitting them with the "main gun" or machine guns (co-axial or the flex mount on the turret roof) depending on what the target is. The "main gun" is the cannon, the co-ax is the machine gun that shoots parallel (co-axial) to the main gun and is slaved to it for aiming.

We don't need to wipe out an enemy unit to "destroy" it. We need to inflict enough casualties in a short enough time to stop it from doing what its commander wants it to do and keep it from interfering with what our commander wants to do. If we do that, it's "destroyed" for our operational purposes. Sometimes the other guys are wiped out, sometimes we just need to inflict 20-30% casualties in a few minutes.

If we "clear in zone" we always seek to kill ,capture or displace every single one of the enemy in a zone. That is more like what an outsider would expect from the term "destroy".

Combat arms troops usually don't like to refer to being heavily outnumbered. You are more likely to hear a term like "We will be operating in a target rich environment" at the operations order. We heard that a lot in reference to the Warsaw Pact forces in West Germany as in "If the Third Mongolian Hoard crosses the border and comes through the Fulda Gap we will be in a target rich environment" Jeez, Captain, just say it-"We will be badly outnumbered!"

The list of doctrinal terms and graphics fills a book about 1-1/4" thick.

Lance

Milbikes

Sounds like a small hole for the size of the shell. Maybe the shell was inert, and the explosive they used to detonate it made the hole? Wish there was a picture of it prior to destruction.

LanceRobson

Sounds like a small hole for the size of the shell. Maybe the shell was inert, and the explosive they used to detonate it made the hole? Wish there was a picture of it prior to destruction.
Small amounts of explosives laying on the ground surface don't make much of a hole at all. The force follows the path of least resistance up and to the sides. Most artillery shells have a heavy steel wall to withstand the acceleration and pressure on firing and have a relatively small amount of their weight in the bursting charge. The round blown in the video wasn't inert although it seems to have been 65 or more years old and could have deteriorated.

To make a big crater takes with a surface charge takes a LOT of explosives. Ariel bombs and arty rounds that make big craters tend to have either slow acting fuzes or fuzes set for a short delay on impact. When a shell arrives at 2,000 FPS or so it has time to burrow a ways before the fuze can function.

We one time blew a pair of 4.2" HE rounds that were defective. They weighed 27 pounds apiece and were side-by-side and tamped together by a few layers of sandbags. Each had a 1-1/4 pound block of C-4 placed on it and they were detonated electrically. The total crater was about 18" at the center and 4-5' across in loam. Some of the fragments borrowed quite deep but rocks and other fragments could be heard landing in the trees behind where we waited in our buttoned up M106 mortar carriers about 250 yards away.

Lance

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Just a word of warning from someone who hauls explosives for a living, it is a $15,000 fine for displaying explosive markings on an empty trailer. not sure if this would apply here but i wouldn't want to find out the hard way!