• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extended Grille HMMWV's

plinkr415

This is a question I've had for a while, but I've never had anyone to ask: Why are the grilles of some HUMVEE's (M1114, M1165, etc.) extended like the one pictured in the link below? Thanks :)
ecv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

alpm3

its armor 1/4 for side blast also anew style fan that runs off of crank shaft will try to get so pics of the set up

Minuteman1636

Extended Grill HMMWV

The HMMWV's that you see with 'extended' grills are HMMWV's in the ECV (Expanded Capacity Vehicle) class of HMMWV's. They have larger engines that require more space. The space was created by moving the grill forward.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine is same physical size in all Humvee's, but the cooling stack is longer.
And some have gear drive fans.

dilvoy

The Radiator is between 20% and 25% larger in size than the original type. I think the engine oil and trans coolers are larger as well as having the power steering cooler in the one piece cooler instead of as an add or or non existant as in the early Humvees.

emr

Good post i learned something today :) I thought it was protection also, I was always trying to figure out how it would work , like maybe a louver set up or something oh well :) :) Now I know, thanks,....

sandcobra164

Close, the longer nose actually started with the addition of A/C which resulted in the radiator and all coolers laying flater to accommodate the evaporator. The engine is the same size, sit's in the same spot but the turbocharged models have a revised "doghouse" that protrudes more into the passenger compartment to make room for the turbo. On newer models, the radiator is larger, some have the gear drive fan, and the evaporator's on tucked inside the fenders at the back of the vehicle. 2 doors have 1 evaporator on the passenger side, 4 doors have evaporators on both sides. You'll see the mesh panels just above the rear tires and the spacer plates on top of the rear fenders to protect you from touching the fender.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6K winches were standard equipment on the USMC M1038's.. (a M998 with a winch made it into a M1038). The Milemarker hydralic winches didnt come out until 2002.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks