• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extended Steering Arms

MrM4

Does anyone here build custom steering arms for dueces with a lift kit? My M35a2 has a 9 inch lift and was wondering if anyone would consider building me a custom arm? I have a custom shop who is about 90 miles away that thinks they can do it but they would like for me to trailer the truck to them to look at while fabing the arm, Id rather not haul it all that way if I dont have to.

Anyone have experance with what to use or what not to use? And how think of metal you should use?

Last edited:

HanksDeuce

Contact member blackrock on here. His name is Kyle. He'll make them for you no matter what lift height you have. He is making me an 8" lift kit with both steering arms extended.

MrM4

I can't help but think of the ADDED stress on the 4 mounting bolts caused by the leverage of added length

Im sure the extra length does create more stress on the bolts but I have never heard of them failing. I made a temp steering arm out of 4inch wide 3/8 A36 steel to move the truck in and out of my shop, I managed to bend it because I turn the wheels without them rotating and that was with just 9.00-20s. After alittle fixing it works fine as long as the tires are rolling when you turn.

All I need now is the steering arms and to cut my wheel centers and mount up the 16.00- 20 and I can take her for alittle ride finally.

A sneak peak of the work in progress with my new tires sitting in place unmounted, snaped with my camera phone.

Attachments

Last edited:

khandoh

I hate to sound this way, but I wonder how hard a good solid redesign of the part as a whole would be? I am not saying that lifts should be abandoned.... But the arm was bent by a stationary tyre? Slow speed OK. but trying to change the direction of a 500 lb gyro?

MrM4

The arm that bent was not the orginal arm, it was a basically a small part to allow me roll the truck around my yard so it wasnt in the way, theres no way I would drive it on the road with a light duty part made out of scrap I had around the shop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks