• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Paint - White CUCV???

puppy

I picked up an 1984 model last week. The engine and passenger compartment are the correct green, however it appears that the exterior was never painted OD, but painted white instead. Did this happen? What does that mean?

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure it wasn't just sandblasted off? It may have been a Coast Guard CUCV. I'd say UN as well, but the UN generally gets a lot of used stuff, so their white paint job would have some green under it.

dam88

my latest M1008 is white on green - US Forest Service. Desert truck, not a bit of rust, five years of service records and every cap, nut, bolt, bulb and dodad that came on the truck factory stock.

Bubba didn't even see this truck!

puppy

There is no evidence of green where the paint is cracked, peeling, or missing on the exterior that I have seen. It is either white paint, gray primer, or bare metal. That is why is wanted to post here to see if you guys had any additional info. Could it have been on an airfield or something? It is a 1008, but has the 8 eye bolts in the bed. Any info on that?

nkawtg

The CUCvs we used Air Force wise were either tan or green. However, we did have non GSA 3/4 or 1 ton 4 x 4 Chevys that were blue or other colors. They weren't CUCVs, just off the shelf Chevys. Further, the UN paint jobs I saw overseas where distinct in that it got painted white if it didn't move.......and got painted white twice if it did...... rofl

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: Exterior Paint - White CUCV???

CCATLETT1984 said:
I see no grill guard on that truck, does it have the blackout lights and slave port on the front?
What he said and I'll ask about the D-rings, their mounts, and the rear pintle?

If it doesn't have this stuff (or evidence of them) then it's just a civy spec truck the government purchased at some point.

Is it a 1 ton or a 3/4 ton?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Exterior Paint - White CUCV???

Plus, is it me, or is there chrome trim around the tail-lights?

TOBEXA

RE: Re: RE: Exterior Paint - White CUCV???

One of mine is white and it came from the US Navy.....it has #'s painted on the roof......any idea what for? who was looking from above?

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: Re: RE: Exterior Paint - White CUCV???

TOBEXA said:
One of mine is white and it came from the US Navy.....it has #'s painted on the roof......any idea what for? who was looking from above?
Aircraft and helicopters. Probably aircfield vehicles and/or search and rescue vehicles. Scene commander in an aircraft or helicopter can direct the ground vehicles around by calling them by number.

I drove MCAS Miramar's "46" and "47" quite a bit not too long ago.

puppy

It is a CUCV.

It does have the D-ring mounts, blackout lights front and rear with switch panel, pintle, gun mounts, 1008 door tag, door jamb tag, radio delete, GM specified "military" sticker on driver inner fender, etc.

Slave port is missing as is the brushguard. Seat is not original.

As to the history and lack of green paint evidence, I don't know?

Attachments

cjkeeliii

I just found this post. My m1008 was painted white. The guy from whom I bought the truck got it from Eglin AFB and then painted standard army camo over the white. The pins that hold the "D" rings will occasionally vibrate around to the white sides that did not get painted green. Your truck is missing the STEICE diagnostic port, but the floor looks good; unlike mine which had a serious case of cancer. I don't know what is up with the white paint but ours are the only two white trucks that I have seen.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Post the vin and it might show up with a unit or we might be able to determine the service. Search for and use the vin info thread to do this, not here.

CompoundCuckVee

strange, the chrome tail light trim, and chrome vent window trim threw me off. Someone did some work on this thing. How many miles are on this thing? It looks like a good find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks