• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

External oil cooler

notsosanestan

okay i need new oil lines but i was looking at the oil cooler on the rad and it looks like its just a few lines on the radiator not fins or anything. i have extra fluid cooler i got when i bought a transmission that was too small to use. Its a bar and plate style with barbs on it i am thinking of either getting new lines and installing it after the stock one or deleting the stock one and making my own lines to the new cooler. what do you guys think?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stock oil cooler is internal, in your radiator. It uses the coolant to cool the oil.

Only the lines are external(what you can see).

2deuce

I was wondering how much cooling was actually accomplished by running the oil through the coolant radiator. Seems like it couldn't be much higher without the radiator but it would warm the oil quicker in cold weather by running it through which is also good.

Westech

CPL
liquid to liquid cooling is 8 times grater then liquid to air. That little oil cooler does A LOT! Its like have you ever put a hot french fry in your mouth and sipped a little of your drink to cool it off? Does not take much does it. If you go to a Air to Air cooler you will need a good RV type of cooler. Not just a little double coil one or something of the sorts. But if you have a large enough Air to Air there is no reason you could not go that way.

2deuce

What would the oil temp be without the cooler? Is a cooler of any kind really needed? If so is it for the extreme heat days? Is it the nature of a diesel to produce more heat than gas and the cooler needed because of a gas engine sized oil capacity?

405timothy

trans cooler

I know a bit about transmissions, transmission fluid runs at an average temp coming out of trans of 275 degrees, engine coolant should never be above190. that is why the stock ones work, changing out your stock one could cause your trans to be slow warming up, personaly I would add it in on the return side of the stock cooler, then you still get engine coolant to help it warm up on start, and still get additional cooling after warmup

Westech

CPL
well we are not talking trans coolers we are talking about OIL coolers. Yea a Diesel makes more heat then a gas engine. This is due to High compression, and larger displacment, and fuel that has more BTU's then gas. The result is higher internal pressure in between the bearings and more heat.
The oil heats up WAY faster then the coolant so saying you need it to warm the oil is a load of poo.
IF you bypass the oil cooler in the 6.2 or just about anyother diesel your going to fry it. The engine needs the oil cooler. Read my post above and that should explain it.

405timothy

sorry I was refering to transmissions, they need to be a certain min temp to work efficiently, never tried to put in an external oil cooler. where would you even find one

Westech is right on the money here. I didn't know the exact amount of how much better fluid cooling was over air, but I know you need it to keep from frying your diesel or transmission. I have seen customers come in with burned up trannies before and found they had bypassed the radiator cooler and plugged into an auxilliary cooler, thereby creating a timebomb known as the aircooled torque convertor, and viola, now they need a trans rebuild, a new torque convertor (which really is a must with a rebuild anyway), and still need to fix the radiator they thought they could bypass.

Scarecrow1

Just my two cents here but I know when oil is the proper tempature it is at its most efficent stage .....So long as the oil is in the temp it is designed for it should function fine .....mess with it and in the winter there may be problems in it reaching that tempeture .....

notsosanestan

you can use any fluid cooler you want. There are different sizes and types. I just put on a trans cooler after the stock one and my trans is wayy better it used to get really hot on the highway. i was going to intall this on the other side of the rad next to my trans cooler but i guess its not really worth it to add another oil cooler