• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

External winch lever

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi there has anyone ever done an external winch control lever? like the lever in the truck then one near the winch? tried a search but nothing came up.

74M35A2

Yes. At least one person here added an air cylinder to the hydro valve and remotes it that way. I am converting my cable driven valves to 24v doc solenoid valves with switches inside the cab, outside, and wireless remote control. Won't be cheap, but will be a big upgrade on the hydro system since I am adding a rear hydro winch, dump cylinders, aux output, all that.

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi there just an update on my external winch lever its not finished yet but it works great! Dont worry i'm stupid enough to stand there and winch something its just nice for winding up the cable or little thing like that so you dont always need two people.2015-10-22_17-22-40_388.jpg2015-10-22_17-22-13_178.jpg

74M35A2

Good job. That is how I want to wind my winch cable also. Gloves, be careful, and it should work just fine. I would not pull a load from that position in case something breaks. Cable may go through the radiator, but probably not through a windshield unless cable is at a negative incline.

74M35A2

Wait, you have a level wind on there. Now I don't understand the lever, besides not having to climb in and out of the cab to use the winch, of which you should not be there when pulling anyway, if avoidable. It looks good and you did a nice job though, very crafty.

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thank you yes i have a level wind but its nice to be there while its winding up and not just assume its going correctly or like you said and jumping in and out of the truck. I would NEVER winch with it from there i ran heavy duty wreckers for 10 plus years i've seen what a snapped cable can do!

Gunzy

I understand the hazards of being near the winch in the case of a cable break. But have any of you ever noticed the control locations in reference to the winch location on light duty tow trucks? I operate an F350 with boom/sling style bed and the controls are right at the rear corners(both sides/dual control) of the bed.

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are 100% correct the fact is you should know your equipment and use good judgement look you could have the safest piece of equipment in the world but if you let an untrained idiot run it he or she will find away to hurt them selves! So slow down use common sense and be safe out there. that's my opinion

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks