• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extra Long Deuce or 5 Ton

metrobus

When I was going through basic traing at Ft Campbell, KY in 1967, there was a motor pool just across the street from our barracks. There was a lot of engineer equipment, 290-M scraper pans, dozers, graders, etc, but there were also really long tactical cargo trucks. They looked like a deuce or a 5 ton, but nearly twice as long. Does anyone have an idea what model of truck that might be. It's been over 40 years, but I know I didn't imagine it.

Thanks,

Barry

Wolf.Dose

I guess it was a M36 brigde truck. Their beds had been quite longer. The Pontons were not so heavy and needed a lot of space. Last I have seen them was about 15 years ago when they went surplus in Germany (Karlsruhe engineers finished operation due to troop reduction). Some of them then were used as camping trucks due to the space they offered. Others were used for home construction with those people who did a lot by themselves to hauvel the construction equipment (You realy could load long parts on them without problems) After two or three useages they faded away due to been realy worn out.
Wolf from Germany

Last edited: