• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extra rear cargo bed "support hooks"?

HDN

I noticed that my M35A3 has extra rear "support hooks" bolted on to the bed below the tailgate. It looks like they were installed over the bumper numbers stickers. Would this have been an Army addition, or something done by one of the previous owners? Other pictures I've seen of A2 and A3 deuces don't have them. How about the 5-tons?

20230914_191007.jpg20230914_185842.jpg

HDN

Local unit mod there.
The truck belonged to a military mail terminal at Fort Totten at some point. I'm a little surprised that the hooks would be placed where they could obscure the bumper numbers. Would that have been a problem?

There aren't any additional rear numbers I can find on the bumperettes unless they were painted on instead of stickered on like the rest. One of the previous owners painted the truck after they bought it.

Guyfang

Staff member
Depends on the era. We always had the rear bumper numbers painted on the bumperets. The area you are talking about would be covered up, if the tail gate were left open.
1694798891052.png

HDN

Depends on the era. We always had the rear bumper numbers painted on the bumperets. The area you are talking about would be covered up, if the tail gate were left open.
If you look closely at my second picture, you can see the remains of the truck # stickers under the paint. The extra hooks were installed over them, a #2 specifically. Because of that I'm not sure if this was a unit-based modification or if this was something one of the truck's previous private owners installed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks