• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extra switch outputs

Guruman

Not so new member
I'm adding a complete winch setup to my m1078. The winch control box comes with a bunch of blank switch hole, but has wiring connections for each unused switch position.

My question is this: If I add switches to fill those blanks where do the outputs go? They are all pre-wired, so the output of each must be somewhere. Sort of like the Ford "Outfitter" switch setup maybe?

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm adding a complete winch setup to my m1078. The winch control box comes with a bunch of blank switch hole, but has wiring connections for each unused switch position.

My question is this: If I add switches to fill those blanks where do the outputs go? They are all pre-wired, so the output of each must be somewhere. Sort of like the Ford "Outfitter" switch setup maybe?
When I was rummaging through some documentation it seemed like a lot of those had to do with the optional arctic heat system and troop heater. So maybe they end up near the bed?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sounds most logical to use the existing wiring ..... BUTTT>>>>>wiring on these trucks are a weak point. Many have harnesses with cracks in wiring sheaths etc...... IMHO just run new wires.
Seems to me that these trucks were built to last for maybe seven or ten years? I think I saw that number somewhere. There are several obvious things - like the plastic loom for example.

Exposed to the sunlight, that stuff degrades fairly quickly. If you aren't sure, look behind the bumper under the grill. Those bundles of wire are "protected" with that thin plastic. It was fine when the truck was new, but I have replaced quite a bit of that on my M1088 with a cloth version that will last until I am dead and buried.

More on that point is the rubber cab bushings that are also exposed to sunlight. They were cracked and in the case of my M1089, one was just flat out GONE. Not much they could have done except to have had some sort of sheetmetal sun shield...

Guruman

Not so new member
Seems to me that these trucks were built to last for maybe seven or ten years? I think I saw that number somewhere. There are several obvious things - like the plastic loom for example.

Exposed to the sunlight, that stuff degrades fairly quickly. If you aren't sure, look behind the bumper under the grill. Those bundles of wire are "protected" with that thin plastic. It was fine when the truck was new, but I have replaced quite a bit of that on my M1088 with a cloth version that will last until I am dead and buried.

More on that point is the rubber cab bushings that are also exposed to sunlight. They were cracked and in the case of my M1089, one was just flat out GONE. Not much they could have done except to have had some sort of sheetmetal sun shield...
Slather them in sunscreen maybe? ;-)

Ronmar

The wiring isn’t bad, it doesn’t like direct sun, but they used reasonably good quality wire and adequate wire gauge. The switch info can be found in the schematic, only 2 are not labeled and I labeled them in this drawing. Now wether they run where you want them for re-purposing is another story. The schematic will point you to the location of their terminal connectors, then you will have to find their actual location… some I think terminate at connectors under the passenger dasw where they would have connected to the specific sub harnesses used on the various builds to feed arctic heater, fire pump, work lights ect…

B32AD3C7-83B9-4B23-BB5C-1008E2E5C900.jpeg

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter

can you share a source for the cloth wire loom and cab bushing? Both of those are pretty baked on my truck.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
can you share a source for the cloth wire loom and cab bushing? Both of those are pretty baked on my truck.
SummitRacing.com is a good place to get the cloth wire loom.

The cab bushings are worth shopping. I bought two sets about 15 months ago from Memphis Equipment. Prices there were considerably less then. Today I don't see those parts on their website. With a quick web search, Midwest and Eastern seem to have them available today. Definitely worth shopping price!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks