• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extra tools and different BII for wreckers

Csm Davis

Unfortunately I have found out that most BII gets sent to the scrap recycling center and that's a shame but it is the way it is, some will be pilfered before the trucks get turned in because a smart motorpool Sargent will know that when they get new trucks they won't have certain items that are needed.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check garage/tag sales near army bases!

Like Jeff said , there is also the stuff that actually dissapears from the BII itself as vehicles get upgraded, but the guys at the sharp end know it is good kit, so will move it over to the newer truck even if it isn't in the newer BII!

When you find that great BII scrap bin in the sky, let me know, half of mine is missing too.

Csm Davis

Ditto for ground anchors and pins. Page 48 of Field Manual 'FM 20-22 Vehicle Recovery Operations', where I notice that they have finally changed the Ward la France round pins - nightmare to get out, to hexagonal pins.

So - the FM says 2 sets per wrecker - each set is 3 anchors and 10 pins, but where are they stowed?

... Don't forget shovel, broom and trash sack/bag for road cleanup, also small webbing straps to secure busted or loose pieces from/on recovered vehicle....

x 3 hazard triangles (min) and road flares (or smudge pots in old language).....
What do those ground anchors look like not sure I have seen them.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey biggun' - 2:35 am what's up with that? Happy new year btw!

Great thread to warm up as always.

What about that "finger saver" as you called it! (BII [CES - "British~English"] x3 per UK wrecker - wheeled and tracked)

H

(sorry, internets way too slow this morning for pics - there is a thread though on the HMVForum - search Scammell tool in "I may be stupid - but..." section;- http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?22145-what-the-heck-is-this-(Scammell-)-tool-for )

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is the same tool you gave me at the rally, Thank You, I use it all the time, I keep finding another use for it, keep it within a few steps so easy to grab, already has saved a few smashed fingers, one thing though, I have forgotten what the three color strips signify, I am going to paint the tool yellow so i can see it against all the bits of green iron

Again Thank You.

Last edited:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I carry most of the standard BII, but not the crosscut saw! I have added a MEP-531A (2Kw genset) great running power tools and lights! I still need a good out of the way spot to store it?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have forgotten what the three color strips signify,
That's the regimental colours of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME).. also RAEME and RCEME for same units in Australia and Canada. Often see those colours in small squares on the engineer/fitter/mechanic/recovery vehicles attached to other units.

Csm Davis

Hey biggun' - 2:35 am what's up with that? Happy new year btw!

Great thread to warm up as always.

What about that "finger saver" as you called it! (BII [CES - "British~English"] x3 per UK wrecker - wheeled and tracked)

H

(sorry, internets way too slow this morning for pics - there is a thread though on the HMVForum - search Scammell tool in "I may be stupid - but..." section;- http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?22145-what-the-heck-is-this-(Scammell-)-tool-for )
Thanks again for mine also, bud and I just don't sleep a lot anymore.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rumplecat what about behind the passenger side fuel tank, will it fit?
... only if you have the girlie small aux tank!!! Oo ooo, maybe I shouldn't fire that one off 'till I have put a bigger one there!!! Hint hint.

74M35A2

Not a wrecker, just have wrecker envy. Some good ideas in here. Besides conventional hand tools, 2 things I keep on board that I didn't see mentioned is $100 cash in a hidden place and the lowest cost new Stihl chainsaw with a new sealed can of ready-mix Stihl Motomix 2 stroke fuel, supposedly good for 2 years before needing replaced.

Csm Davis

Not a wrecker, just have wrecker envy. Some good ideas in here. Besides conventional hand tools, 2 things I keep on board that I didn't see mentioned is $100 cash in a hidden place and the lowest cost new Stihl chainsaw with a new sealed can of ready-mix Stihl Motomix 2 stroke fuel, supposedly good for 2 years before needing replaced.
Like both of your ideas but you are supposed to have a crosscut saw in your BII, I like your idea better but the hand saw always works.

dmetalmiki

My C.E.S. A bars extendable, (2). Long, and medium. "heavy" tank 'Holly-bone' draw bar. (1). Wiffle Tree (1). 5" rotating and swiveling Vice (for pipes or splicing steel wire ropes. (1. ( on front bumper)). 6" Vice For steel wire rope repairs splicing. And fitting work.(1. (Raises and lowers to clear an operating Jib. On the rear deck)). Sets of Chrome molly lifting Chains various sizes and loadings. (10). "16 Linkers". ( 'O' ring at top, Chain Hooks On Each Leg.) Various lengths and loading's. (6). Shackles. "U", "Harp", and "plate". Various sizes and loading's.(30). Snatch Blocks. Various sizes and loading's.(10). Pulleys and Chain Lift hoists. (block and tackles). 2, 1/2, 5, 10, ton.S.W.L. (4). Steel Wire, Towing, Lifting, / A Ropes. Various S.W.L. and lengths.(4). Sets of "safety" Chains, 10. ton. S.W.L. Various Lengths.for use with A Bar towing. (4). Tool Kit and Socket Set. (A.F. Metric. Whitworth. (1/8th. to 2 1/4. in 'equivalent' all). 1/2" and 3/4" Drive Air, Impact Impact Guns. (With Impact Sockets 1/2" to 2 1/4"). 100 Feet of H.P. Air Line with Quick Fit to Glad Hand End Fitting. 20 Ton Jacks. (2). Air inflation Gauge and line. (Glad Hand). (1). Tow air Lines. (yellow/ Red) Glad Hands. (2). Breakdown Warning Triangles Large, (4). Wheel Braces (2). Crow Bars, Long, Short, Medium. (3). Sledge Hammer. (1). 6 Foot "gun Planks", (4). Wooden Blocks Various. (6). Wheel Chocks (2).
Stops Removed to allow 360* Rotation of the crane.
Holmes Wrecking Gear Added.
Emergency Light Bars. (1).
Siren Kit. (3).
Air Horns. (3 (individual sets).
Reversing Siren.(1). Rear Facing Camera.(1). Yellow rotators. (3).

Last edited:

red

Let's see. Have the main parts on the way in june consisting of the wiffle tree, both spades, crane support legs, spare PTO shaft for the crane, tow lights, 1 single and double 5/8 line snatch blocks, 1 single 3/4 line snatch block, complete medium towbar setup.

Currently in/on the truck:
cold weather front
Complete 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 drive socket sets metric/sae
ratchets
1/4"-1 5/8" wrenches with a few bigger than that metric/sae
3 pry bars from 16-60"
screw drivers
air tools
cribbing
replacement air and fuel line
spare hub seals
misc metal fittings
lifting chains
roll around work chair (bad knee)
hammers
small oxy/acetalyne torch
torque wrench
dial calipers
gasket scrapers
o-ring picks
6ft cheaper pipe
bunch of other mechanic tools I can't think of right now. Currently my rolling toolbox
Ibis Tek towbar with kit
Tow strap

Eventually it will have spare fluids, winch line repair parts, extra air tank, and a ujoint puller

And yes, the stock storage boxes suck for access on my m816. They will be modified and more storage added

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks