• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extraction and Shipping Help: Herlong, CA or Reno, NV

djv

Hey All,

I'm looking for a little help or advice. I won the m1009 from the Sierra Army Depot in Herlong, CA which is apparently a challenging place to recover and ship from. Apparently the thing can only be removed on a flatbed and has to be loaded by the site. I've gotten some pretty high quotes from brokers and shipping companies out of Herlong, CA but some more reasonable offers from Reno, NV. If anyone has any insight or advice, might live in the area and be able to help I'd rather work something out and pay a fellow SS than a towing company to extract the truck. If anyone else has anything coming out of that area and wants to combine shipping I'm open to that too. The truck will end up being shipped to me in Boulder, CO. Thanks!

unclemikey

Hope this all works out for you, dot every i, confirm everything in advance regarding the pickup, by phone and by fax/email. Last year I won a lot from Herlong, after jumping through more hoops than I knew there were, with Herlong rules that only Herlong has, the fiasco got so bad that I had to forfeit the lot, the travel time, and fuel. Herlong is not like other GL locations. Best of luck on your pickup, I hope all goes well for you.

djv

Thanks for the info ill be sure to double check everything. Unfortunately thats not the news I was hoping for. I called and talked to the sight manager Josh and he told me to schedule a pick up time with him and they would let a driver in with a flatbed if he has a Twic, military ID or 48hrs clearance on paperwork for a background check. Were there any other hoops you can remember? I found a tow truck company in Reno willing to do it for 290 with storage but I would still need to ship it.

unclemikey

Sounds like you are doing just find. It's just Herlong is not at all like every other base I have ever worked with. I had never heard of the 48Hrs clearance paperwork for background check. Hill, Barstow, Fort Collins, Reilly and every other base you just make a phone appointment and check in at the gate, no sweat. Herlong keep giving me the wrong phone numbers to fax things to them. The guys were good to deal with, but I could never get an OK on anything. I called Gov Liq for help, and they also had problems getting things to work. So in the end I had to give up. Sounds like you have got all your ducks in a row, and it should work for you just find. It is just with Herlong, you want to make sure everyone is on the same page, that's all. Best of luck to you, enjoy you M1009.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been there several times, and had no issues. I use Susanville Towing (530-257-5114) to recover items for me & store them, until I can make one trip there to recover the several items at a time. They so far have only charged me $350 to pick up and NO storage fees; they work with shippers with no issues and have even stored some items for nearly 6 months for me at no extra charge. They are easy & pleasant to deal with and were happy to use their wrecker booms to load heavy items into my truck when their forklift wasn't available. They have a good working relationship with SIAD (Sierra Army Depot) and have never had any problems with all the lots I've won out of there.

I highly recommend them.

djv

Thanks! Thats great info and I appreciate the help. I booked Nevada Towing Inc to extract it before I read this but ill keep them in mind if all else fails. THey are bringing it to Reno and it will get shipped from there. I think I have all my paperwork covered so fingers crossed.

djv

Thank you goodguyzy. I currently have a flatbed coming to extract but if something falls through or I need eyes on the ground i'll contact you.

DrillerSurplus

I've been there several times, and had no issues. I use Susanville Towing (530-257-5114) to recover items for me & store them, until I can make one trip there to recover the several items at a time. They so far have only charged me $350 to pick up and NO storage fees; they work with shippers with no issues and have even stored some items for nearly 6 months for me at no extra charge. They are easy & pleasant to deal with and were happy to use their wrecker booms to load heavy items into my truck when their forklift wasn't available. They have a good working relationship with SIAD (Sierra Army Depot) and have never had any problems with all the lots I've won out of there.

I highly recommend them.
I have used Sierra Towing many times in same fashion as silverstate55 and also highly recommend them.

Crash_AF

I'm heading out there in late March/early April (Depending on weather) to pick up my 1031 from Reno. If you can wait that long, I'll be happy to work something out to haul it to CO on the return trip.

Hit me up if you're interested.

Joe

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Once you get it home, let us know. there are more than a few guys in the Boulder/Denver/Castle Rock area and there are some really nice trails and places to go off-road-ing and camping in the summer. There are 4 or 5 of us that are going to try to get together for a few summer adventures.

djv

Turns out i couldn't convince a shipping company to take the truck at a reasonable price so Im flying out to Reno this thursday evening to get to work on trying to start the truck and drive it back to boulder. If anyone is in the Reno area and wanting to lend a hand if I get stuck pm me and I will be forever in your debt.

Crash_AF

My timing changed and I'll be out that way in two weeks to pick my truck up. If you get stuck, I'll be driving back from Reno the exact week after you, driving out the 25th and should be back in Co Springs on the 28th.

Drop me a line privately if you need anything.