• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme RV from M36a2

tamangel

here's a few pics of a shipping container camper on a Bedford truck and another unknown brand. The web site on the truck is inop.. info only..

also a web site for a guy in Australia that built several rigs from the ground up on ex-arco awd trucks.. Although not shipping containers, there are a 'metal box' concept.Great ideas and lots of DIY ideas well documented in his build chronicles.. This one is for his latest, smaller, rig WORT 2..maybe a few possibilities for you..:

Rob Gray :: graynomad :: wothahellizat :: wot2

I'll be watching your progress..

M36A2 was my choice for this concept for a while..

also might google:

20' shipping container shelter

or

Military 20 ft ISO shelter

for other concepts..

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

hdmax

You seem to have a well laid out plan. And some very nice tools to get the job done.
Looking forward to the progression and completion of this RV/MV!

daddy2

Tamangel, Thanks for the info and pics. I can see from the pics that the green bed is an actual shipping container. I was told be a dealer that a lot of the weight on the containers comes from the end corners. Weight is one thing on my mind. This container, Based on the data plate, weights 7940. The 20' containers come in at around 4400. I was told the reason was the end corners. 4400 is well over half the 7940 weight. I am looking forward to see what the weight comes in at

daddy2

The container is on the actual side wall of the bed. The corners of the box will be reenforced and some of the weight will be transfered onto the floor of the bed using some stiffners. Hope to have this done this weeked. I will post some close-ups for you guys. I am going to also weld the sides of the container half the sidewalls of the bed. It will be a continuous weld. The corners will be 2*2*1/8" square tubing. I bought a crap load 6 years ago for a project that I didn't get to do. Good thing I bought it back then, because the price of steel now is outragous.

Danger Ranger

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment here...are you sure you want to weld the bed to the container wall? If at a later date you want the truck for something else....your stuck. What if you clamped it or something. Bolts maybe...

I did read that you were going to cut the cab to have a through passage, but I wondered if you had a plan to be able to roughly use the truck for other things too.

I am trying to think into the future. Its your truck, and your purpose(s).[thumbzup]

daddy2

Danger Ranger, I love the fact that you are looking out for me. The truth is welding everything will keep it very tight and leak proof. I will also put a seam sealer around the welds and the rest of the joints. If I were able to take the top off for other uses I wouldn't have an excuse to buy another deuce. Just don't let my wife on to my master plan.[thumbzup]

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I see the angle iron on the bed sides. Seems like they'd form water pockets with the container top.

daddy2

Angle Iron is just temp. to keep the sides from kicking out when I put in on the bed. Probably have new pics later in the week.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
daddy2, you are off to a great start with your project. Can you say some more about your ideas on finishing the interior, insulation, windows and vents?

Rick

ranchand

Hey if you welded angle onto the container sides so that it lipped over the bedrails it could be watertight and removable. Not that you will ever want to remove it but someone else may somedayand that would save alt of cutting and grinding.2cents

Awesome Possum

Tamangel, Thanks for the info and pics. I can see from the pics that the green bed is an actual shipping container. I was told be a dealer that a lot of the weight on the containers comes from the end corners. Weight is one thing on my mind. This container, Based on the data plate, weights 7940. The 20' containers come in at around 4400. I was told the reason was the end corners. 4400 is well over half the 7940 weight. I am looking forward to see what the weight comes in at
Much of your weight comes with the floor. Those oak floors have to be extra tough to carry the loads that they do. My guess is that 2/3 of the weight came off when you removed the floor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks