• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme Unimog Video

Mercunimog404

Banned
February 7th, 2014.

Mercunimog:

The S404.114 (Swiss) I have, SN 446, and her sister #443 (in the Dallas,TX area), both have the hand throttle up on the metal hood above the engine, just behind the radiator top tank and to the left of the choke knob. The only other thing on that cover is the turn signal switch lever and the map light with the retracting cover to turn it on., and from what I have seen of these two 1963's they were pretty much unaltered from built. The only minor difference between 443 and 446 is that mine has the VDO wheel position indicator attached to the steering column under the steering wheel to give the wheel direction of their point, and the other truck did not have this device.

The levers on the floor from L to R behind the engine cover, between the seats are:
1. Fuel selector valve handle, Main, Reserve and "Off"
2. FWD shifter & lock lever
3. Handbrake lever
4. Main shifter 1-6 gears
5. over by the passenger seat "F-N-D" lever
(No PTO or Winch controls present, no Ultra low range lever either)

Purely stock 404.114 from 1963 according to the original German operators manual, and the English version manual covers the slightly later, more modern S404's just before the S406/408 production began. Apparently the Swiss Army did not want to spend one more mark on the basic truck, so they were delivered bare frame, cab and windshield, no cab cover, no cab bows, no cargo bed or cover, all of which the Swiss built in their own Army shops, so they are not standard when compared to the German trucks. The Belgians either had the Swiss build similar cab roofs and cargo beds for them, or they copied the design, as their trucks are very close to the Swiss S404.114's in general appearance and details.
Yea the hand throttle in my truck is in the exact same spot.

It's kinda hard to imagine where the crawler gear lever is. It comes out underneath the forward revers and is bent so you can grab it on the right side of the forward revers lever. You push it forward to disengage and pop the forward reverse in neutral then pull the crawler back to engage it.

Mercunimog404

Banned
February 7th, 2014.

Mercunimog:

The S404.114 (Swiss) I have, SN 446, and her sister #443 (in the Dallas,TX area), both have the hand throttle up on the metal hood above the engine, just behind the radiator top tank and to the left of the choke knob. The only other thing on that cover is the turn signal switch lever and the map light with the retracting cover to turn it on., and from what I have seen of these two 1963's they were pretty much unaltered from built. The only minor difference between 443 and 446 is that mine has the VDO wheel position indicator attached to the steering column under the steering wheel to give the wheel direction of their point, and the other truck did not have this device.

The levers on the floor from L to R behind the engine cover, between the seats are:
1. Fuel selector valve handle, Main, Reserve and "Off"
2. FWD shifter & lock lever
3. Handbrake lever
4. Main shifter 1-6 gears
5. over by the passenger seat "F-N-D" lever
(No PTO or Winch controls present, no Ultra low range lever either)

Purely stock 404.114 from 1963 according to the original German operators manual, and the English version manual covers the slightly later, more modern S404's just before the S406/408 production began. Apparently the Swiss Army did not want to spend one more mark on the basic truck, so they were delivered bare frame, cab and windshield, no cab cover, no cab bows, no cargo bed or cover, all of which the Swiss built in their own Army shops, so they are not standard when compared to the German trucks. The Belgians either had the Swiss build similar cab roofs and cargo beds for them, or they copied the design, as their trucks are very close to the Swiss S404.114's in general appearance and details.
Are you confused about the hand throttle on the red one? It's a 406 that's why it's in a different location than our trucks

Another Ahab

What was the prototype rig that started it all?

Like what was the "Model A" Unimog?

Mercunimog404

Banned

Thank you for the detail. Impressive.

Wold you happen to know what they mean by this:

They have a grade ascending ability at maximum of 100 percent

Sounds like it'll go vertical or something!

At least I did t say read the TM ;)
90 degrees is straight up. Te climbing ability is over 100% I think 110% where a hummer can climb 60%

Mercunimog404

Banned
Also remember. Unimogs can do all of that off-roading with 100% payload. They don't have an off-road, on road payload. They just have a payload. They can carry their full payload off-road all of its life.

Another Ahab

Mogs have always fascinated me.

It's one of my long term goals to own one. But i wouldnt have the first clue about importing one.

I understand they dont have an on road capacity because they were never really intended to be used on road.

More like tractors adapted to road use by the military. Awesome little rigs any way you slice it.
And compact, too. I like how they're so tight:

- Delivers a whole lot of work out of such a small package.

Kawgomoo

Banned
And compact, too. I like how they're so tight:

- Delivers a whole lot of work out of such a small package.

Yeah exactly! I love how they are small...but not too small. When you look at a mog and a deuce side by side, it clear our countries have 2 very different ways of thinking.

Id love to have one of those little mogs with the box on the back..radio truck maybe? would be an awesome chase truck, parts/repair rig.

Are all mogs gas?

Mercunimog404

Banned
Yeah exactly! I love how they are small...but not too small. When you look at a mog and a deuce side by side, it clear our countries have 2 very different ways of thinking.

Id love to have one of those little mogs with the box on the back..radio truck maybe? would be an awesome chase truck, parts/repair rig.

Are all mogs gas?
Only the 404 is gas.
Don't forget the 1300 will carry 7000 pounds off road :). When I'm saying off road, I'm not saying a dirt road. It'll run the rubicon carrying that.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Except for the earlier Unimogs, a Unimog can be designated as a road truck, with options to support higher speed. High speed diff and portal gear ratios were/are available as options. Add to that an overdrive-splitter on the SBU or larger Unimogs (those having divorced transmissions), taller tires, and highway speeds are more than adequate.

Example: U-1300L, fast axles, overdrive, 14.5 x 20 tires, will run 70 mph at 2400 rpm, and that's still under engine redline at 2800 rpm. Not that anyone should recommend that speed! A good cruising speed might be around 58 to 60 mph at 1800 rpm. At the higher speeds, typical Unimog tire ratings become important, and 'rubber mileage' really drops, along with fuel mileage.

What did Unimogs evolve from? The first little truck/tractor of the species was the Boehringer.

BTW, 100% grade is 45 degree (run = rise). To achieve that requires gearing and traction. The Mogs have the gearing, and good rock (think Moab, UT, "slickrock") where over 100% grade can be achieved.

Bob

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

February 9th, 2014.

Thank You, Mercunimog! That is where I figured the auxiliary shift would end up, and yes, the hand throttle's on top of the engine housing on my 404, and I suspect all the other stock 404.114's. Yours has rubber matting, mine is as noisy as all get out being just stock metal floorboards. Still, once you drive a Unimog, you don't go back to lesser FWD's......

The hand throttle on that 406/408 was in a much different location then a 404's, but then I suspect all one is doing is advancing the governor or the injector setting as with any other diesel truck. I just have never been around but one 406, and never had the chance to drive it. Too many FWDer's who have never driven a Unimog, either the S or U series tend to depreciate their capabilities, but even the 404's can be formidable for the power plants they had installed in them (an auto engine).

Another Ahab:

Here's a video of the Model "T" of Unimogs, the U25, the great granddaddy of the S404.114's

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=08667850302B3109EE5608667850302B3109EE56

Herse some more stills of the old tractor based Unimogs...

http://www.trucksplanet.com/catalog/model.php?id=875

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The U500 is a fine truck for it's intended use as an equipment/implement carrier. It is not intended for rough offroad work. Note the lack of ground clearance. The U3000, U4000, U5000's are intended for offroad and military service. In the recent past the U1300L was the dominant military offroad transport workhorse.

This last video is sort of humerus in it's implication that the U500 is the ultimate offroad vehicle or that it is heavily used in the military. There is probably $30k in engine accessories hanging down in harms way. Bet there's not a single one in OD paint to be found to be posted here, eh? The U5000 (note the 3 zeros) is the common one for military use. Google U5000 military.

Still a good video for entertainment purposes :)

Bob

Another Ahab

The U500 is a fine truck for it's intended use as an equipment/implement carrier. It is not intended for rough offroad work. Note the lack of ground clearance. The U3000, U4000, U5000's are intended for offroad and military service. In the recent past the U1300L was the dominant military offroad transport workhorse.

This last video is sort of humerus in it's implication that the U500 is the ultimate offroad vehicle or that it is heavily used in the military. There is probably $30k in engine accessories hanging down in harms way. Bet there's not a single one in OD paint to be found to be posted here, eh? The U5000 (note the 3 zeros) is the common one for military use. Google U5000 military.

Bob

For grins (Don't try THIS at home); skip ahead to +/- minute 2:30

http://youtu.be/UeDc6xMe9u4

Last edited:

Mercunimog404

Banned

Bob
You're right. But 500s are good trucks. BLM uses some 500s and they've been great trucks. They threw it on the tilt table at NATC and it still leaned over something like 35 degrees before it wanted to tip. That's with a almost 1000 gallon tank and all the equipment on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks