• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

F-16 Cockpit Video during RED FLAG - ALASKA

RangerBob

I recognize that runway. 32 out of Eielson. I think it was about 3miles long for the tankers and RC, but I only used the last 1000ft in the base aero club 152s and 172s.

RangerBob

I suspect that your rate of climb was probably a bit more shallow too.
<BIG GRIN>
So this one time...
I'm ready to take off in a 152 and call the tower for permission to depart. They say hold for 2 A-10s on the south end of the runway. Hmmm, slow poke A-10s not yet rolling from 3 miles away...I can make that. So I call back and emphasize that I'm prepared for 'immediate' departure. They clear me and off I go rolling from the taxiway onto that last 1000ft of runway. I'm climbing out and just about to turn crosswind when the tower calls and says 'depart the pattern immediately'. Somewhat surprised, I call back for clarification. Before they respond I look over my shoulder and see four big a** turbines on my butt. Ziggy-zag right, push her over, and head for the trees!! Lesson learned; Yeah, A-10s are slow jets, but still Warp Factor 5 over a Cessna.

And back on topic, check YouTube for 'Red Flag Alaska' for videos of the event over maybe the last 20yrs.

3dAngus

The persistant 2 and 3 second shots of video, one after another, hurt the performance of the overall video. You simply could not get a warm feel for the flight in any one location they were filming. I liked the bomb drop and roll best. The scenery was fantastic, but I think the editor screwed up by trying to get so many different scenes in a limited amount of time.

In any case, it was good, but after being in the flight controls (from ground control) of a F-15 and watching in real time, this video just doesn't compare.
I got more sensation out of the movie "Bullet" with Steve McQueen about 35 years ago or so then this one. I still liked it, just thought the editor botched his job.
In any case, I do appreciate the film. (I guess I'm a bad film critic that was disappointed.) As you say, carry on...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks