• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

F-16 pilot flies back to base with half a wing missing

pat038536

During a training exercise with the Oklahoma Air National Guard last October, two F-16 Falcons were involved in a near-fatal collision. One of the jets crashed to the ground and caught fire, after the pilot was safely ejected. However, the second jet, despite being damaged, was able to fly safely back to the base.

It wasn’t until these photos came to light that it was discovered just what an understatement “damaged” was. The fact of the matter is the pilot managed to fly an F-16 some 100 miles back to his base while missing half a wing, certainly no small feat.

Screenshot-265.jpgx9qcou9lnaoa39mkefv1.jpg
Screenshot-266.jpg
What remains of the second jet involved in the mid-air collision.

Screenshot-267.jpg

"Ran when parked"
"Coming soon to a GL near you"

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reminds me of George Kennedy in Airport:

"Joe Patroni: That's one nice thing about the 707. It can do everything BUT read."

[throws his chewed and soggy cigar over his shoulder]

Same can be said for the F-16 and F-15.

:)

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Great info. So we thank the designers, the assembly line works, the maintenance crews, and the people that made sure the floors were swept and the trash was taken out so that it didn't interfere with the proper building of the aircraft.

USMC 00-08

Thank God that the pilots lived.... I wonder will they get in trouble for that accident?
These fighters are from the Air National Guard base not far from my house. I just saw in the paper that the pilots are back to flying again. The paper didn't say much more than that and didn't say what they were back to flying. Flying a desk now? Sent flying out the front gate? Flying F-16's?

It is really neat to watch what appears to be dog-fighting when they are training.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just re-read the title of this thread.

What an amazing feat. The pilot flies back to base with half a wing missing. Wouldn't it be the plane that had the missing wing, and the pilot flew the damaged plane back??? Or do those NG Pilots come with wings nowadays???

Just sayin'

Carry on.

TehTDK

Knowing a couple of pilots who has served in active combat engagements I have been told that even if certain airplanes gets hit and loses a significant bit of the lift or stability "most" of the it can be compensated for through the avionics. ie the pilot basically "just" has to hold the plane flying level and can then "program" the avionics system with the present parameters as the "baseline". And thus basically restore his/her ease of operation as they wouldn't have to fight the plane anymore as its flight computer would do that for them.

So the plane would fly all the same "more or less", naturally with some maneuvers not being possible and a generally more sluggish feel since its aerobatic properties has been compromised. But at least the pilot would be able to either hopefully detach from the engagement and limp home, or just limp home and thus safe the aircraft.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given enough thrust, even a 2x4 will fly.

A buddy was doing F-16 flight testing with under wing mounted fuel tanks. The test profile called for so many degrees of yaw to test the stability limits of the tanks. During the test one of the tanks and pylon departed the aircraft. The chase aircraft asked him what his status was after the tank came off. he said the aircraft is flying fine with the exception of a fuel leak where the tank came off. That's when the chase pilot told him the tank had taken off the stabilizer on that side of the aircraft. He didn't notice any problems with aircraft handling, the computer was compensating for the missing stabilizer.

The chase pilot suggested punching out but since my buddy had done that before he decided to fly it back. He made it with a couple hundred pounds of fuel to spare.

Turns out the aircraft had major damage and is now a gate guardian.

Keith_J

Within reason, the Falcon can compensate through the flight control computer since it is a fly by wire system. But lose the computer and it is a tumbling brick. Which is why it has a hydrazine powered emergency power unit if the engine flames out or just quits.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quote: "Given enough thrust, even a 2x4 will fly."

That is the principle behind the F-4 Phantom. I had been assigned "wheels watch" when I was in the service. You were stationed out at the end of the active runway, within 100 yards of where most planes touched down. I saw all manner of planes land and it was stark contrast between an F-4 and everything else. They would slam onto the deck, despite noticeably higher airspeed than anything else.

markand

During a training exercise with the Oklahoma Air National Guard last October, two F-16 Falcons were involved in a near-fatal collision. One of the jets crashed to the ground and caught fire, after the pilot was safely ejected. However, the second jet, despite being damaged, was able to fly safely back to the base.

It wasn’t until these photos came to light that it was discovered just what an understatement “damaged” was. The fact of the matter is the pilot managed to fly an F-16 some 100 miles back to his base while missing half a wing, certainly no small feat.

View attachment 544212View attachment 544213
Those two photos belong in a General Dynamics marketing brochure for the F-16, if they have such a thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks