• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

F-4 Phantom & Phantom II Fighter (McDonnell-Douglas)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is dedicated to the F-4 Phantom series of fighter aircraft introduced during the Viet Nam War.

Please share your photos, experiences and knowledge about this airframe here.

Here's what WIKI has archived...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-4_Phantom_II

This article recently flagged me to post about the F-4:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/f-4-phantom-workhorse-has-been-retired.html

And, of course, here are some pics for your viewing pleasure...

19bf3dcb4883fdc6db13b3f576c78f7c.jpg . mcdonnel_phantom.jpg

PhuCatEORF4D634.gif . f-4-phantom_q_fit.jpg

f-4-phantom-ii-bill-lindsay.jpg . 66-7640.jpg

a250db32b662d1480a6a795658db7ea51d45f166.jpg . F-4E Phantom II at Nellis AFB.jpg

Carry on.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still remember how to change the Air Data Computer in the RIO's cockpit. You had to remove the ejection seat and hang upside down to undo the safety wire and unscrewing the knurled knobs and then slide it out. Install was the reverse.

I remember working on the AOA probe on the front doing a low power turn to check that the auto-throttle worked during landing when something went wrong and the port engine went into afterburner on the deck of the Kitty Hawk and we didn't have it chained for a high power turn. Standing there like an idiot I could feel the J79 sucking the air around me clear out by the nose where I was standing.

I remember working up on top of the fuselage at Cubi Point, PI during a monsoon.

I remember working underneath one on the starboard bow cat while the were launching next to me on the port cat.

I remember holding onto the port AIM-9 rail behind the waist cat SMALL JBD while they launched an A-6 and singing the hair off my arms but it was my fault because my long sleeves were up.

And my fondest memory is failing asleep on the starboard engine during a turn up at night in the South China sea.

I have lots of pics somewhere....

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now we have gotten to THE aeroplane! I grew up thinking this was the most fabulous machine in existence, haven't changed my mind.

Cheers

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to think that until my second WestPac when I worked on the F-14.

:)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd have to say that the F-14 is a very close second, but when it comes to Phantoms...swoon....... ;)

I am, of course talking personal appeal, not necessarily capability. If I was going to fight another plane, I'd rather do it in the F-14, though a well flown F-4 can still give others a run for their money.
I was sorry to see the F-14s leave the fleet, they took capabilities with them that were not replaced.

Cheers

Guyfang

Staff member
I'd have to say that the F-14 is a very close second, but when it comes to Phantoms...swoon....... ;)

I am, of course talking personal appeal, not necessarily capability. If I was going to fight another plane, I'd rather do it in the F-14, though a well flown F-4 can still give others a run for their money.
I was sorry to see the F-14s leave the fleet, they took capabilities with them that were not replaced.

Cheers
We are blood brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the plane I would give 10 years of my life, to fly in. The Fast Mover!! I grew up hearing stories about it. Oh man. Anyone here heard of Pardo's Push?

Bob Pardo Once Pushed a Crippled F-4 Home With His F-4. In Flight ...

Here's the link. What a story. I heard about this the first time at a party at my dads house. The F4's were being rebuilt/up graded at Hill AFB. Every weekend there was a party someplace in Roy, Utah, put on by someone at the repair facility. A bunch of pilots were in town to pick up some birds that were ready to go home. They were telling one story after another, and I just sat in a corner and soaked it up. I didnt believe it at first, but read about it years later. The Air and space article is probably on of the best written one.

steelypip

Yeah, well. As a SAC brat (who was at Loring at the time), I have to put in a plug for the other way to get your tragically broken F-4 (and crew) home:

How to win the Mackay Trophy and save an unfortunate F-4 crew by doing the impossible (according to Boeing) with your KC-135.

I do, incidentally, stop by this trophy every time I'm at NASM on the mall in DC.

Dad (the old powerplant shop officer and once-upon-a-time Pratt&Whitney employee) always had unkind things to say about the GE J-79. I always figured the Brits had the right of it: Put a Rolls-Royce in it.

I still wish the Israelis had gone through with their threat to put P&W F-100's in their F-4s. That would have been an E ticket ride.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are blood brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the plane I would give 10 years of my life, to fly in. The Fast Mover!! I grew up hearing stories about it. Oh man. Anyone here heard of Pardo's Push?

Bob Pardo Once Pushed a Crippled F-4 Home With His F-4. In Flight ...

Here's the link. What a story. I heard about this the first time at a party at my dads house. The F4's were being rebuilt/up graded at Hill AFB. Every weekend there was a party someplace in Roy, Utah, put on by someone at the repair facility. A bunch of pilots were in town to pick up some birds that were ready to go home. They were telling one story after another, and I just sat in a corner and soaked it up. I didnt believe it at first, but read about it years later. The Air and space article is probably on of the best written one.
THAT is one miraculous feat of airmanship.

I had never before heard that account.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But, other than being smokey in below-afterburner settings (they pretty much fixed that toward the end), the J-79 really was a good engine, particularly for when it was developed. It was a fuel hog though!
The Brit's with their RR engine got a few benefits, but got the slowest and most expensive Phantoms produced. ;)

So...way back in the latter quarter of the last century, we lived in Corpus Christi. Our house was a couple of blocks from the bayfront, literally one block from the south edge of town, and about 1.5 miles north of NAS Corpus. The main approach path to base was down the bayfront, so all those lovely planes flew right in front of our house every day.
My 17th birthday happened to coincide with the airshow on NASCC that year, and I was out there from the moment they let us in the gates. There were TWO Phantoms at the show, a Navy F-4J and an Air Force F-4E, parked next to each other. Heaven!
The pilot of the F-4E was Navy, on exchange duty with the USAF. My buddy told him that we were both high school Navy ROTC pukes, and determined to become Marines (which I did a little over a year later) and that it was my birthday, so the pilot said "Happy Birthday, do you want to get in the plane?" Well, yes!

So he opened the cockpit, I climbed into the seat, and he sat on the edge showing me how everything worked, the engine start procedure from beginning to end, etc. Spent over 45 minutes sitting there talking about that plane. My buddy got to sit on the intake during this.

When we were done, I was eventually coaxed out of the cockpit, and climbed down. Other folks wanted to climb in, but the pilot told them "Sorry folks, Devil Pups only today", and closed the canopy. As far as I know, I was the only civilian allowed in the plane for that show, which made it even more special for me. One of the best birthday gifts I ever got. :naner:

I have bummed rides in a lot of different planes over the ensuing years, but never did get to fly in a Phantom.

The attached pictures aren't great, they are pictures of photos in my album. The pilot is the guy in the sunglasses and golf shirt, ahead of the wing under the formation light. Late 70's, most everyone had shaggy hair! I owe him a big debt of gratitude for spending so much time talking to some kid, that was really kind of him. I try to remember that when kids visit the vehicles at shows.

I chuckled at the sight of that skinny kid climbing down the side, wish I was a little closer to that slender now. :???:

Cheers

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I've got PILES of F-4 Phantom II pics to share. This is probably by far my favorite aircraft design in US aviation history! :)

Attachments

steelypip

One thing I will note: The very first time I watched the USAF Thunderbirds, they were flying F-4s. There's a lot of noise in 10 J-79s at max afterburner. And the F-4, being such an enormous sled of an attack airplane with lots of wing area, was really good at zoom-and-boom when lightly loaded as in an air show, and was always easy to see, even when doing the 'high show' on a clear day (thanks partially to the J-79 smoke trails). Little steelypip loved the F-4 version of the show.

They didn't look (and weren't) nimble (Top Gun and Red Flag were needed for a reason), but they were big, loud, impressive, and stable enough for good close formation work. The T-38, which replaced the F-4 with the unit, was vastly more economical, agile, and obviously much more of a pilot's airplane, but it didn't have the fuel capacity, or the noise, and, like the f-16, was sometimes hard to see in the high show on a clear day.