• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

F-600 on bobbed deuce chassis

Josh78910

Hi all,
i'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone has ever seen, done, heard of, have pictures/information of a bobbed duece with an F-600 body and F-350 pickup bed? or similar.... (chevy c-series, kodiak, topkick etc... basically any medium duty truck cab that shares the same lines with a light duty pickup bed) it's a project that i'd like to tackle once i get out of college. well any help/info would be appreciated. thanks!

Josh

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I saw a Crewcab Dodge dually from the mid-seventies on a deuce frame on ebay last year.

jeli

That truck was on E-bay last week. I downloaded the pics but it's on my work computer. I've entertained taking a meduim truck and putting the transfer case and axles from a deuce. The divorced tcase makes for an easier retro and leaving the rears together would be very easy, but heavy, change.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well I have trouble with it. I see the deuce as just fine in its original form. The only reason I see to change things would be to put a deuce body on something else's frame so you could get better milage. Putting something else on a deuce frame just doesn't strike my fancy. Alas, I can't afford them all, so do as you please with your property.

Josh78910

yeah i thought about that too... just finding an F-600 and adding the axles and transfer case. who knows what i'll do, or if i'll even do it. there are pros and cons to both just plopping the body onto the rolling duece frame or just fitting the axles and transfer case under the F-600. the advantage with the bobbed deuce is you could make the wheelbase anything you wanted to.. granted it isn't really much more challenging to just change the wheelbase of an F-600 if it were too long.. one could go about this in a million different ways.

the only thing i've been wondering is.. if i did this i would really like the outside duals to track with the front tires like most all class 6+ trucks do. but i've noticed from pictures of various deuces that it seems the front tire track seems to be narrower than the outside rear duals.. can anyone verify this?

Josh78910

i found that C65 you guys were talking about on ebay. he said in his description he built the truck off the chevy chassis, and used the running gear from a 50s M211 6x6. the axles don't look like the toploading type like i've seen on M35s, was a 2.5 ton 6x6 ever made with conventional type 'forward facing' gear carriers like you would find in most over the road trucks?

Foreverunstopable

Hey guys. I'm the guy with the C-65. I've since decided to keep the truck after it didnt sell. Tulsa made the exact truck you are looking for from 70-75. Florida Power and Light and many oil companies had the F-600 midified using the M35 2.5 ton axles, the Chevy C-65's were made using the AWD gear from the M211 for off-road use. If you look hard enough you can find them on the heavy truck trader pages in MN or MI. To get this truck on the road I'm swapping the Clark 285V 7.00:1 1:1 for a 3053-a and adding a Spicer Browinie Box for another od ratio. If you want to know more I have the parts manual and 70's listings for the trucks.

Here is an e-pay link to the truck your looking for. It has the better axles and case. I've seen them down here in FL still in service but repowered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1971-Tulsa-Ford...ryZ35978QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Blythewoodjoe

I too considered doing a Ford cab a while back and there is one thing that keep me from it. Anyone can have a Ford but how many people have a monster truck convertible. I think being able to remove the top and lower the windshield is just cool. I haven't done that lately but at least I can if I want to. It would be nice to have the conveniences that come with a truck with lockable doors and a bench seat but you can't beat the military truck look.

tom11919

Great minds think alike. I've been daydreaming about swapping in a deuce t-case and axles under my grandpa's '68 F-600 he's giving me. Maybe even run the whole tandem set up after seeing that brochure with the Tulsa T-800s. :shock:

Attachments

tom11919

houdel said:
What is a "Spicer Browinie Box" and how does it add another od ratio?
Its just an auxiliary transmission. The name is like "kleenex" or "bandaid"; its not necessarily made by Spicer. I'm not sure where the 'brownie' part comes from, though. In practice, they work kinda like a transfer case without the front output. Having one multiplies the main transmission's gear ratio by the 'brownie' or auxiliary transmission's. Let's you split the gears in the main trans and could give you a higher (numerically lower) effective overdrive ratio.

Trango

Brown-Lipe was a subsidary of Spicer, or a company they bought, or something along those lines. Now, I have seen some old main trannies that have BrownLipe tags on them with otherwise Spicer details...they have been military origin, like uncommon trannies.

I think Brown Lipe, regardless of origin, may have eventually become a Spicer division skilled and tasked with the production of uncommon or special order Transmission or gearbox orders.

Just a guess, though. I'm sure Wikipedia knows all on this corporate history subject.

Best,
Bob

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck is really, uh, interesting. Looks like a Ford pickup, and IH 1-ton dump, and a deuce had a wreck and that's what is left. But it is an interesting amalgamation!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's kinda cool, I wonder how many beers it took to build it!