• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

F-600 on bobbed deuce chassis

notmeofficer

1979 F600

Thought I would post my truck for interest sake
1979 Ford F600 FMC 4 x 4 firetruck with 21 k original miles on it.. I purchased it for 5k fully equipped down to hand tools, generator etc.. pumps 750gpm.. now living on my ranch.. I don't think I would ever sell it. I love this truck. I had an earlier PG and E line truck that was 4 x 4 but this one is WAY nicer

The department that bought it brand new, whom I got it from, could no longer certify the pump because of age and it was required to be sold. I bought it from a broker.. so the real sales price for it was probably around 4200.00
Its the cleanest nicest one Ive ever seen

I bought it for the chassis but because its so nice Im having second thoughts about turning it into a custom flatbed (Im a fabricator and was going to build a custom aluminum bed on it)

How often do you get to buy your own firetruck in life

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: 1979 F600

That thing is gorgeous, it would be a shame to cut it up, I agree. Good luck with your sale.

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to agree with gimpyrobb...Why cross-breed?

I think your $$$ would be FAR better spent on dolling up a more modern military truck than "playing cut & hack". You'll also be able to use your toy between remodeling projects, as opposed the having two piles of truck smeg cluttering up your yard.

Do some studying here on SS! there are several people doing some REALLY trick stuff.

Commercial medium-duty 4x4's...Buyer be ware! They ARE NOT all created equal!

I've learned this from owning & exploring in Casa azul for the last 13 years.

My $.02...Stick to military, unless you have A LOT of spare cash!

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
ToddInMT said:
Only out of Idaho, Appalachians of the West, would you find a truck like that. :p

We are sooo much more classy in Montana.
LOL,

Come to New Mexico sometime.........

notmeofficer

I ve seen that ford promod before on unusual motorhomes... the guy spent a bazillion dollars on it and did a nice job... well until he had some hippy flashback and grafted the upside down car onto it... ruined it in my opinion

Im not active on this board.. but I have been active on the truck..and while I did decide to modify it I am keeping its service as a fire truck.. basically its going through a complete refurbishment and retrofitting.. modernizing everything while keeping its soul
What has been done to date

1) Cleaned up engine for smog.. new carb etc.. once the historical plates go on its going to get the engine bay sanitized

2) Removed the 600 gallon center tank.. this will get a replacement 250 gal poly tank

3) Stripped all the boxes from the chassis.. everything will be stripped to bare metal and repainted. The boxes are so nice Ive decided to try and keep them,, but I will be shortening them.. as well as the chassis,, everything will be 4 feet shorter

4) the center mount HALE pump is coming off.. this allows me to have only one rear driveshaft.. in its place a self contained 20hp fast attack pump will get mounted on the pass box... while this wont be a pumper anymore it will still move water and will be 4k pounds lighter

5) I have a cummins 6bt and an allison from an f650.. I plan to use this for a repower...

There are so many things happening.. this is just a brief of what is going on but trust me.. fun things ahead like

full exo skeleton like some brush trucks have
all incandescent lighting will become HID and LED
Looking at a 4wdb conversion... saving hundreds of pounds

I have a blog running on the ford classic forums.. if the moderators here say ok.. I might post a link.. for brevity sakes....

But Ill still come here because of the 7500 pound rockwell underneath it.. sharing many attributes of its military counterparts. Even though its a 1979 most of the parts are obsolete so I find Im fabricating some stuff, adapting other stuff...

Cam

5tonjeepman

Hi Cam..

Just took a look at your fire-truck you got, awesome rig, my son loves'em..
I'm considering a build of my own and since your a fabricator I would ask you this.. I was given a 77' f-250 drive-train-complete and running, moving..etc.
I have a jeep cherokee but the drive-train needs allot of help.. What I plan to do is marry the 2.. I think it has 1-ton axles, 351-ci and a 4-spd, the frame is really long.. it was a crew-cab originally.. I plan on cutting down the frame to match the wheel-base of the jeep.. The body of the jeep is like it came off the show-room floor yesterday (1994).. Too much work?? Ideas? Forget it??

What do you think?? Please let me know, I don't want to junk the jeep because of the drive-train.. I'm ambitious and always wanted to make something I could be proud of.. THANKYOU Eric F..