• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fabricated and installed exhaust brake, ramps and hitch M923A2

dirk721

I just finished up a few more projects in preparation for my Moab trip at the end of the month. Blue Ox exhaust brake with 24v air solenoid that works better than I thought on that big 5 ton! I tested and tuned the back pressure to the recomended 35psi on the 8.3 cummins so i don't float any valves.

I made the hitch all from 3/8" and 1/2" steel and boxed in the 10" wide tube steel base plate for a little extra strength.

I used 3" C-channel and 1/4" 2x2 angle iron for the ramps. The ramps are 13' long and I was still surprised at the approach angle for my M1009 to get up.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nice addition!

Bjorn(cranetruck) put an exhaust brake on his deuce and said it was a very worthwhile mod.

DevRev

Silly question but what do you mean by exhaust break and why are you using an air solenoid? Newbie here :)

FloridaAKM

An exhaust brake (not break) shuts the exhaust outlet & allows you to use the engine as a brake on a diesel engine, think mountain roads down hill. The air solenoid operates off the truck air system as it is already available. Now the driver of the truck can use the exhaust brake, commonly called a jake brake, to slow down the truck instead of using the air brake system. Having both systems is an upgrade in the driving experience for those know how to use them.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
An exhaust brake (not break) shuts the exhaust outlet & allows you to use the engine as a brake on a diesel engine, think mountain roads down hill. The air solenoid operates off the truck air system as it is already available. Now the driver of the truck can use the exhaust brake, commonly called a jake brake, to slow down the truck instead of using the air brake system. Having both systems is an upgrade in the driving experience for those know how to use them.
There will be a manual on/off switch to turn the system on/off, there will be a throttle switch to activate the system for braking, letting off the throttle will bring the exhaust brake on line, restricting the exhaust, which back pressures the engine, slowing it down, and a clutch switch to keep the system from activating when the clutch pedal is pushed. Some exhaust brakes are selectable as to the amount of braking that the system provides (lite, medium, heavy).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The exhaust brake is not the same as the "Jake brake". The exhaust brake just closes off the exhaust pipe to increase the back pressure. Think "throttle" on a gasoline engine (diesels don't have one).

FloridaAKM

Thanks for the extra clarifications, I missed those details by posting too early in the morning. Not to mention, trying to juggle doing taxes @ the same time.

Can I claim my Deuce as a dependent this year? She is a new addition to the family & requires constant feeding & upkeep :p ......

dirk721

Thanks guys! It has been a fun project truck!

Artisan, here is a picture of the rest of the exhaust. I used the elbow that used to turn up into the muffler to turn the exhaust down right after the toolbox. I had it originally straight piped up with a stack right behind the cab but I couldn't even hear myself think inside the cab at 55 mph! Sounded great, but it was a little loud.
tank exhaust.jpg

Here is a picture of the solenoid that I used for the exhaust brake that mounted in the battery box.
tank ex brake valve.jpg

Ford Mechanic

The exhaust brake is not the same as the "Jake brake". The exhaust brake just closes off the exhaust pipe to increase the back pressure. Think "throttle" on a gasoline engine (diesels don't have one).
Correct,
A Jake brake actually closes the exaust valves in the head with a disconnector.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks