• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Failed Inspection... What Gives?

Chief_919

Too easy. Inspector is an idiot anyway, and doesn't know what he is looking at.

Upgrade your genset.

Since the inspector doesn't know crap about military gensets go here:

Generators & Equip.

And upgrade your data plate. The first one lets you stamp whatever rating you wnat on it....

derf

Tell him you plan to buy a new, big, expensive generator. Show him a brochure. Tell him it will take you a year to save up the $40k for a 35kW gen set. Meanwhile, you need the current electrical work inspected and passed so that you can continue to occupy your abode. Tell him you will call him when your stimulus check for $40k comes in and you are getting your generator. Meanwhile you will use your two surplus generators to power necessary items in the event of an outage with heavy duty extension cords.

Or, tell him you plan to rent a 35kW unit from Aggreko(or other suitable local gen renter) for outages. You just need him to approve the work done and you will have an authorized Aggreko person tie then rental unit in when the time comes.
Tell him to pay no attention to the surplus generators and you are using them for paper weights.
Call Aggreko, tell them you are thinking of renting a 35kW gen set suitable for powering your home, and ask them for a spec sheet on the unit. Show the unit spec sheet to your jackass inspector.

It may be a good idea to call and ask if a different inspector can come out and inspect your stuff. They can insist you follow code. But, I don't think they can do anything if you want to prepare for an imaginary generator that may or may not ever materialize.

Isaac-1

Yeah, this change in the 2008 NEC is a bit insane, but I guess I can see their point with non load shedding automatic transfer switches. You are in a situation where the load draw could be more than the generator can supply, which could easily result in a dead generator from melted windings, particularly on generators with minimal protective features. I suspect the main result of this change in the NEC will be cheaper load shedding automatic transfer switches for the residential market.

Ike

mckeeranger

Yeah, this change in the 2008 NEC is a bit insane, but I guess I can see their point with non load shedding automatic transfer switches. You are in a situation where the load draw could be more than the generator can supply, which could easily result in a dead generator from melted windings, particularly on generators with minimal protective features. I suspect the main result of this change in the NEC will be cheaper load shedding automatic transfer switches for the residential market.

Ike
Not just damage to the genset. You could also damage other household equipment due to under-voltage/under-current.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, sorry to hear about the misfortune with the inspector. While some of the comments are correct that the inspectors a lot of times don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground, they are the final word and you have to do what they say, no matter how dumb it is.

I was unaware of that change in the 2008 code about the automatic transfer switches. Thankfully I live in an area without electrical inspections, plus I am more than qualified to do any installs myself, so I can keep those kinds of things a secret. Then you can always use the excuse "It was like that when I bought the place". As stupid as some of the rules are, the NEC is intended to provide the basic rules governing electrical installations to keep people and property safe. With the amount of people installing generators since Y2K and Katrina, I guess they felt the need to do something.

Unless you can convince the inspector that you have a 35KW set, or can cheaply switch over to a manual switch I can't see much you can do.

brockwired

If you have a Cutler-Hammer CH series panel you can just get your electrician to order a special cover for your main service panel. It will have a manual transfer switch built in. I have installed quite a few of these. Do not try to use two generators (each at 110v) they will not be phased properly for your 220v stuff.

derf

You can wire an auto transfer switch and then just use it manually.
It would be like having a solenoid that you control with a toggle switch instead of letting the switch sense and switch.
You don't want an auto switch, anyway, if your gen can't handle your whole house load. Inspectors might be jackasses but in this case, that guy might be right. If it is hot and your A/C and your other big current drawing stuff is running you don't want a gen that can't handle that full load to try and switch in.

AFAIK, an auto switch is only an auto switch if it works without any human input. If you have to switch a toggle to make it work then it is no longer automatic.

Magneto

I would agree with derf, but change the wording when talking to the inspector to follow the definition in Article 100 (2005 code book) AUTOMATIC or NONAUTOMATIC for a transfer switch.

Isaac-1

My understanding of the NEC (not a professional) is this would now be a NON-AUTOMATIC switch if it were not wired into a generator start circuit. This is a distinciton of difference from a manual switch, as the switch does not work mechanically. There is also a new NEC requirement that manual siwtches can only be used up to 800 amps, over 800 amps and it must be either an autmoatic transfer or a Non-automatic (push button, switch, etc, not big lever handle.)

Ike

panic_button

The big day is Thursday. They gave me a temp permit so power could be restored, with instructions not to hook up a generator. The electrician is putting in a new manual panel (Square D) with generator interlock and some extra space for future use. The good thing it isn't costing me anything extra...