• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Failed turbo install

tm america

sorry you had bad luck with a so call exhaust guy .those guys have no idea how to bend pipe or how a performance anything works or should be ran.you have to hold thier hand when they put a stock muffler on so your tailpipe doesnt rub your bumper.to get it right you need to buy mandrel bends and cut and weld everything so your pipe isnt kinked at the bends and that is a flowmaster type muffler which is gonna be to restrictive for your app. glasspacks or a bullet type will quite it down without raising back pressure to much .i would take pics of what they did and sue them to get your money back since the job wasnt done as requested

wkbrdngsnw

Got the rear main fixed. I have no clue why they used 20 some bolts to hold that oil pan on. It took an hour to get it off without air tools. I'm surprised that it hasn't leaked yet since I used a whole tube of RTV to supplement the pan gasket, and might have over done it, when it was 30 degrees out and it actually dried. That and it was my first main seal on a 6.2 and the first not on an engine stand with an expert looking over my shoulder. Bearing looked pretty good though. It's no comparison between the rope seal and that rubber one.

I also turned up the pump an 1/8 turn. That really covers up the restricted exhaust problem. It wasn't fun to line up the screw with the window by myself, an hour of turning the crank by hand then crawl out look and try again. Then mess with that governor assembly and the screw that holds which needed a small piece of pipe on the end of the allen wrench to get loose.

At least its now running and performing better then stock. Its not right but I can deal with it til I have the money to fix it.

Attachments

jwaller

holy cow. a hole tube of RTV? I expect you will see some of that end up in a bearing sooner or later. it usually breaks the oil pump on it's way there.

nhdiesel

:ditto: If you are using a gasket (many newer engines don't even use gaskets, just RTV) and the surfaces are clean, at most just a very thin film of RTV on the surfaces and a small dab in corners is plenty.

Jim

4bogginchevys

About the turbo....my friend happen to be sitting by the computer I had left on yesterday...and now I remember what he said about the turbo issues. Check the waste gate, it is the only good reason that it wont spool up, he's good with the cummins so hopefully there's something there.:idea:

Stihl029

The Banks Turbos for a 6.2 do not have a waste gate, IIRC. I just got one off of ebay and now I am waiting on some new gaskets to come in prior to doing the install. I sure hope that I do not run into too many hangups along the way. This has been a good read.

Tanner

Chain-store 'muffler shop guys' are usually one link above 'oil change jockeys' on the lower end of the DNA chain... I use the independent muffler shop guys, one shop in particular here in Raleigh does very good work & gets plenty of referral business from me.

'Tanner'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks