• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Failing Flasher Unit

Koeppel

I have an HMMWV which the blinkers didn't blink. I ran through the troubleshooting guide and determined that the flasher unit was bad. I swapped it out and that seemed to resolve the issue as the blinkers started working again. However, the next day, they are not working again. Could there be something in the vehicle that is causing the flasher unit to fail? I don't want to keep replacing the flasher unit every time I want to use the vehicle. Ugh.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum!!
Where did you buy the flasher unit? It is very possible you bought a Chicom knockoff

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The turn signal arm itself can give those symptoms too, if it has internal problems. If you have a known good one you can swap over to test, try that.

Cheers

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Seems like it's an intermittent or loose connection. The flasher actually still works if I wiggle the connector. That's a bit of a relief. At least I didn't blow my 2nd flasher unit.
Here's a tip to the flasher. See the attached drawing, to eliminate the flasher unit.⚡

Connect a jumper between the two pins "A" to "B" flasher connector cable. ( a 3 inch piece of solid 12 ga insulated wire with 5/8 bare ends, think romex)
This will provide continuous power to allow troubleshooting to wiggle & jiggle without the chance to "TOAST":beer: the flasher module. Some units are thermal others solid state. Not cheap. 💰💰

Lighting circuits all require a ground return and power is switched thru the turn selector. Check all the lighting "BUCKETS". That's the lighting assemblies.

Behind the red or yellow lenses, gremlins hide there in the form of corrosion, rust and funky goo. Maybe a flakey bulb too. 💡

Flashing and old men in HumV's. Not a pretty picture, CAMO

connector.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks