• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fairly Dumb Question

dabtl

The M35a2 ran fine until it did not. :(

Bought two new 6TL batteries, the solenoid clicks but the starter does not turn over.

Bad starter?

Jones

Aside from checking for bad grounds, which deuces are plagued by; I'd say it sounds like dirty/bad solenoid contacts or starter brushs. Cleaning the commutator where the brushs ride is a good idea too as they get loaded up with a fine film of oil and dust from the brushs as they wear, and glaze over.

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: RE: Fairly Dumb Question

Have someone tap on the starter while you hold the button down to see if it breaks loose.Mine will do the click thing too.I think when I stuck it 4 years ago water and mud got into the starter and screwed up the brushes/Commutor.I can hit the button and get a click.If I Let off and hit it again some times it will fire.Some times I have to keep cycling the button.Was real bad when I first started fixing everything and it hadn't been started in 2 years.Getting better.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

And if you changed the batteries 'cause they were very weak and wouldn't crank the engine, just made it click due to low VDC, that condition can also make the solinoid stick. If that's the case, the BFH trick on the starter should fix it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

or you could use a test light and see if the selenoid on the starter is getting power from the starter relay above the starter, on the engine. this is a big relay and you may be hearing it click and just think it is the starter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks