• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fake GM Water Pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Baron

So I recently purchased a water pump off Amazon that was presented as a GM pump. It was not the case. The part number on it is US5008. It turns out this pump is from a company from US Motor Works. I have never heard of this company before. Does anyone know anything about it? Should I return this pump?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would return it.

ACDelco still makes them.

I buy a lot of acdelco stuff on Amazon and have had a problem only once.
Was an alternator that was supposed to be delco/remy but clearly was not.

Item returned and Amazon notified of issue and $$ refunded. Hassle free.

Return it and get a genuine GM or acdelco part.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot to add that most of the acdelco stuff I've bought on Amazon has been USA made.

In fact I just bought factory GM window handles on Amazon. Item arrived and was in factory GM box and was made in Canada.
Acdelco Harmonic balancer was made in USA.
Acdelco cold advance switch was made in USA

And so on........

cucvrus

I have to add. Every US made Chevrolet, GMC, Ford, Dodge/Ram has Chinese and parts from all over the world. So what just because it is made in USA I am sorry to say does NOT make it infallible. This is an old axe that everyone grinds. I have seen foreign wiring harnesses on trucks all the way back in the early 80's. Made in Taiwan is not US. Vacuum pumps on Fords that were made in Hungary, Venezuela, England and every other country. That is on new untouched trucks. I have worked in the transportation business all my life. This is no shocker that we are in a world economy so why not have world wide parts? I say if they work and are the same quality use them. I don't reject parts that are made in Canada or Mexico. I also don't reject parts that are made in USA. I am just saying if the shoes fit we wear them. My Son was issued uniform bags and a back pack in the USMC and they are Made in China. I use them hard as does he. They have held up. All the way back in 1995 I bought NOS brake drums for my M1009 from Front Line Military parts in Pennsylvania. They were double boxed and in the foil lined boxes inside the second box. They are marked with a NSN and they were Made in China. What gives? I still have them. Never used them. I replaced the entire rear axle with a crate rear for the M1009. I always hear the big talk and recommendations on here about this LMC headlamp wiring harness upgrade. Every part you buy from LMC is made in China/Taiwan. No problem. They fit the truck runs and drives. Issue solved. I bought a water pump for my Mule M1009 last year made in eastern Europe somewhere. I put it on it still works. Better then the leaking US one I took off and tossed on the scrap pile. When I scrap it it will be shredded/graded and taken to China and returned as another automotive part. The cycle will hopefully continue. Recycling is good. So to answer your question. If the pump fits use it. Why return it? It was built to move water and cool the engine. no one ever checked out any of my repairs that I made with import parts. They were happy that it worked and is back on the road again. If the truck/car works run with it.
Does anyone know anything about it? Should I return this pump? I know if it fits use it. If not return it and No I would not return it. You were looking for a bargain part and you found it.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

I'm not going to quote cucvrus but I'd be pretty pissed off at buying a listed acdelco part and it not be made by acdelco, wether the acdelco part was made in China, Taiwan or Hungary.

goldneagle

If it is not as listed, AMAZON will pay for return shipping and either refund you or send you a replacement. They have really good customer service as my experience.

NovacaineFix

Like CUCVRUS stated we have had a world economy for much longer than you would think.

I for one, would like to believe that the US makes a better product, but I know that would be just a fantasy, sad to say. I would like to see more jobs here in the US, but the powers that be in the corporate world seem to think that it is cheaper to ship all this stuff overseas to have someone making $2 a week rebuild it and then ship it back over.

Back when I was a automotive tech, parts would come from all over the world, just like CUCVRUS stated, even with Big names on the boxes.
It used to be that most parts like alternators, starters, water pumps carbs and so on were all rebuilt in the US or very close by (Canada or Mexico), but that is usually not the case anymore.
It seems that nothing really is made in the US anymore, it actually surprises me when I find something that is.

infidel got me

Last year I purchased 3 small cans of Freon. The label said can made in U.S.A. filled in China. So, the can was made here, shipped to China to be filled and then shipped back to U.S.A. I pointed it out to my napa guy and he just laughed. Chinese Freon in a ford truck---makes sense to me.:shock:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last year I purchased 3 small cans of Freon. The label said can made in U.S.A. filled in China. So, the can was made here, shipped to China to be filled and then shipped back to U.S.A. I pointed it out to my napa guy and he just laughed. Chinese Freon in a ford truck---makes sense to me.:shock:
You can thank agencies such as the EPA for that.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
You can thank agencies such as the EPA for that.
I'm afraid it goes much deeper than that but I don't want to get in trouble by venting too much about WHY things are made overseas then imported but:

Insane taxing of corporations

Greedy employees and unions

Insane insurance premiums...both corporate liability and employee health

Absolutely obscene EPA BS

Annual fees, licenses, "privilege taxes", etc.,

Every year it gets harder (especially for small corporations) to do the right thing and survive.

So...the big boys just get stuff made cheaper in other places and sent back here.

I don't condone it...but it's a stone cold fact...and we all let it happen.:cry:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A water pump isn't something I would skimp on.
Its not like it's a quick fix.
If it was alternator, sure you can try the cheap crap.
Waterpump......but best part you can afford.

Last edited:

rustystud

Yep Cucvrus, it used to be if a bearing was made in China it was junk, now Timken and SKF and all the others are made in China with German machines. In fact I haven't found a bearing made in the U.S.A. for over a decade or more. I don't believe there are anymore manufacturers left here. I recently heard a CEO talking about parts made overseas especially China. He said China can make excellent parts or really crappy parts. It's all what the buyer wants to pay. This is the world we live in now. So if the part fits and works then just use it.

cucvrus

A water pump isn't something I would skimp on.
Its not like it's a quick fix.
If it was alternator, sure you can try the cheap crap.
Waterpump......but best part you can afford.
So if the Chinese one is made to exacting standards buy it? I don't know exacting standards. I get a NEW water pump it is in a box I don't bother looking at where it was made and I put it on. I looked back in my Mule M1009 thread and saw the last water pump I put on the Mule M1009 was made in Austria. Does Austria have more exacting standards then China? And my Son said it was Australia that my water pump came from. It don't seem to matter. It was one of them deals I went to Autozone and bought a water pump. When the man put the box on the counter the box was not a Duralast box. I looked at the pump and the box had other numbers and store markings from other stores on it. I could have been a douche and said I don't want it. The box was worn and torn. I had a 20% off coupon and I bought it. 1 year later 10K no problems. I did notice that from time to time things I buy at Autozone have come from other warehouses. Possibly from other parts stores that have gone out of business. Because that can bring up a whole new complain and gripe issue. How old is this water pump? When was it built? It may have been the original water pump that was on the assembly line 36 years ago at the Detroit diesel engine assembly plant and they had it there to show you the sequence of bolt installation. Now I don't want it because it is to old. See where I am going? What is the proper manganese content on the water pump shaft vs the cast aluminum alloy housing or the virgin raw cast iron /stainless steel housing. If it isn't precisely 26.8% it will warp and cause a catastrophic engine failure at 210.6 degrees F.DSCF6869 (1).jpg

Last edited:

archmark

We're all in deep Kimchi if the Chi-Coms decide to cut off the supply of their 'products' to us. They're flexing their muscles everywhere throughout the world (like their island reclamation in the South China Sea) and they've got our debt and parts supply chain by the short hairs...

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're all in deep Kimchi if the Chi-Coms decide to cut off the supply of their 'products' to us. They're flexing their muscles everywhere throughout the world (like their island reclamation in the South China Sea) and they've got our debt and parts supply chain by the short hairs...

And tens of millions of people whose standard of living is making that stuff for us.

It's a complicated interweaving.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if the Chinese one is made to exacting standards buy it? I don't know exacting standards. I get a NEW water pump it is in a box I don't bother looking at where it was made and I put it on. I looked back in my Mule M1009 thread and saw the last water pump I put on the Mule M1009 was made in Austria. Does Austria have more exacting standards then China? And my Son said it was Australia that my water pump came from. It don't seem to matter. It was one of them deals I went to Autozone and bought a water pump. When the man put the box on the counter the box was not a Duralast box. I looked at the pump and the box had other numbers and store markings from other stores on it. I could have been a douche and said I don't want it. The box was worn and torn. I had a 20% off coupon and I bought it. 1 year later 10K no problems. I did notice that from time to time things I buy at Autozone have come from other warehouses. Possibly from other parts stores that have gone out of business. Because that can bring up a whole new complain and gripe issue. How old is this water pump? When was it built? It may have been the original water pump that was on the assembly line 36 years ago at the Detroit diesel engine assembly plant and they had it there to show you the sequence of bolt installation. Now I don't want it because it is to old. See where I am going? What is the proper manganese content on the water pump shaft vs the cast aluminum alloy housing or the virgin raw cast iron /stainless steel housing. If it isn't precisely 26.8% it will warp and cause a catastrophic engine failure at 210.6 degrees F.View attachment 631383
I said buy the best parts you can afford.
That does NOT mean only USA.

China parts like the other poster said are either really good or really crappy.
It all depends on what you want to pay.
We've been down this road before.

Buy cheap parts, wherever their made, and don't be squawking when it fails in three months, etc.
Buy the good parts, from wherever, and replace it in a year or three.
You get the point.
Of course good parts fail but the chances of an early failure are slim.

Thats why I have a Hobbs meter. Like my aircraft, I assign certain parts an hour figure. When that part reaches a certain hour in use, I replace it. Needed or not.
Gives me piece of mind and gives me exceptional reliability in my trucks.
No one will most likely agree with that and I don't really care. Works for me.

The cheap stuff works for you. Great! I'm glad.
Like I've said before, they don't for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks