• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fall New England Roadtrip (Deuce)

No.2Diesel

Fall New England Roadtrip (Pics, update)

Hi,

This Columbus Day weekend I'll be taking a last minute trip up to middle VT/NH....About 340miles each way. I need to pick up a piece of equipment and some building materials that are important to my house resto.

I did my bi-annual oil & filter change as well as replace a torn boot. Checked the brakes, battery water level, driveline fluids, tires, etc. :hammer:

I've put on the most miles ever this year and each road trip gets easier and I'm less anxious. The only thing I dread is the monotony of not having a radio. I keep saying I'm going to get a Headset/Intercom but I keep putting it off...... :oops:

Anybody have any suggestions as to things to see? I'll be stopping at the Armory & Museum in Springfield, MA on Saturday morning.

I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures however I doubt my post trip report will be as good as OPCOM's :smile:

Last edited:

nhdiesel

Depending on exactly which way you come up, you could come up I-91 then take Rt. 9 across southern VT, you will see some beautiful mountains and scenery. Check out Hogback and take pics. Then up Rt. 100, another beautiful country road, and depending how far up you need to go, the Killington area has some awesome beauty and views. Unfortunately, on our side of the border things aren't as nice for a scenic drive, at least not that far south.

Jim
Milan, NH

WarrenD

There is the New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks, CT (behind Bradley Int), it's not MV but MA!

No.2Diesel

Post trip report...

Hi,

The trip went great! 700+ miles without incident. I lost about a quart of crankcase oil due weeps, seeps, and creeps as well as out of the road draft tube. I averaged 7.8 m.p.g. on the way up (hills, traffic etc.) and 8.9 mpg on the way home (mostly downhill)

The weather was perfect and scenery was pretty. There's so much to see on the way that I couldn't do everything. Next time I wanna hit the trolley museum in waterbury and the golden age of trucking museum.

-On the way up we stopped at the Springfield Armory Museum run by the National Park Service in downtown Springfield, MA. There was construction on State St. so I detoured around the closed portion. At one intersection I came to a red light and startled a cop standing outside his car next to me. He whipped around I waved but he continued to give me the evil-eye with his hand on his weapon. I just thought it was kinda funny. I continued up the hill to the Armory and spent two hours there looking at the great exhibits. Its worth a stop & see. Most of the original buildings are still standing and the complex is vast. The museum is only a small portion however.

-Then I got off in Windsor, VT. to see the Museum of Precision housed in a 5 story brick mill that once made firearms. If your into Machine Tools this is the place to go.

-Spent the weekend visiting family and helping around the farm skidding logs with the deuce, splitting firewood and sawing lumber. Had a great time.

-On the way down we stopped in Windsor again for lunch at the old Diner on Main St.

-We managed to hit I-95 afternoon rush hour traffic dead on from New Haven to Westchester. Other than that it was smooth sailing at 2,350-2,400rpm.

-Tires are down to 35% tread now after 4yrs. of use.

-Enjoy the pics! I should've taken more. I failed to capture the fall beauty on camera. :p

Attachments

Carl_in_NH

Glad to hear you got a chance to visit the American Precision Museum in Windsor. I'm a member of that museum, but only get to stop by once a year or so (I'm 60 miles East of there). It's a great place to visit if you're into old machine tools and manufacturing in the US in days of old.

Also been to the diner in downtown; good chicken and burgers.

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Yeah I like to whittle on metal from time to time. I recently acquired a Brown & Sharpe Model No. 00 Automatic Screw Machine made in 1898. It still works like swiss watch! I'd love to see what they have stashed away on the other floors. The building itself is worth the visit.

Carl_in_NH

Once a year, the APM opens its storage areas (entire floors) for members of the museum to wander about and take in all the machines that are owned yet not on active display. This is a wonderful time to look at what they have for treasures. They also host a Model Engineering show yearly - this year, on Halloween. Great exhibits of amateur craftsmen building all sorts of internal and external combustion engines and other machines (and home made machines tools, too).

I'm also a fan of old iron - a 1943 Pratt & Whitney Model B 12x30 lathe, and a 1943 Van Norman #26 mill (3000 and 5200 pounds, respectively) are two of my largest home shop machines. Then there's the two shapers, the South Bend lathe, the two smaller milling machines, ... It's just like green vehicles - addictive.

fireman9

I wished I'd see this post earlier, I would have joined you. I've been looking for a reson to take a road tirp with the Deuce... I'm in eastern Ct. and have friends in Bellows Falls VT that I could have stayed with. Maybe next time.

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Your welcome. I also enjoy all the roadtrip pics you post! Thank you. One day I'll make it over there...

I may be making some more trips before the end of the year. It was nice to see things at a slower pace and people everywhere enjoyed seeing the Deuce.

And now for your viewing pleasure, here is a hotdog wheel chock: (Deuce can be seen reflected in chrome wheel)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks