• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Falls on its face at 1800 rpms

IronDeuce

I've seen lots of posts on how these things can be a dog, especially on hills, but mine seems to really lose power around 1800 rpms. "falling on its face" is a bit of an over exaggeration, but it just feels like the torque curve plummets.

Is this a natural "power band" on a standard 1970 D Turbo motor, or is she potentially fuel starved at this point?

She purrs like a kitten other than that - plenty of "go" for my desire up to that point :lol

Not trying to run a 10sec quarter, just trying to identify a quick fix (or potential problem)

Thanks for your help and sharing in your experiences!

IronDeuce

Roger that. The previous owner replaced them last fall - I'll throw in some fresh ones for extra measure and see how it goes from there.

Thanks guys!

panshark

heads up on the spot between 3rd and 4th gears. If you don't have good revs leaving 3rd gear, the truck won't have the speed to go into 4th without really lugging the engine.

If you're new to dueces, might want to look into the concept of split shifting to cover that "gap" between 3rd and 4th.

This might not be at all related to your problem, but it could have some relevance to your situation.

IronDeuce

Thanks Panshark! Totally new to the deuce - probably only like 150 miles (mostly northern virginia city driving).

I've driven MT vehicles my whole life (everything from a F150 to a Corvette) and I know lugging isnt great - but whats optimal with these? I'm assuming as long as it doesnt feel like I'm on a mechanical bull its ok? Any "optimal" RPM range?

Keeping an eye out for these city slickers in a prius (aka speedbump) is a full time job, so I havent attempted split shifting yet.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Fuel filters are always the "usual suspects". This especially true if the previous owner was using alternative fuels. You might want to consider opening the plug on the bottom of the fuel tank (make sure you have a big enough catch pan to hold what's in the tank) and draining the crud out of it.

My first deuce had about four gallons of water and crapola in the tank.......I went through 2 sets of new filters before I smelled the coffee.

There are spin on primary filter kits that bolt right into the stock location......mine came with a NAPA filter/separator that has a drain valve on it. Check the classifieds. Best money I ever spent on a deuce mod.

Flyingvan911

My deuce suddenly lost power and it was the fuel filters. I replaced them and now the LDS is a rocket again (sort of). Has the fuel tank been cleaned lately?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it happen in every gear? Check to see that it is getting full throttle.

paramedic7831

I would make sure throttle linkage is allowing wide open throttle. And If I remember right I think the throttle linkage has a “hump” in it that just does clear between the motor mount and cab. Might be hanging up there. If everything is 10-4 there I would troubleshoot fuel delivery next.

GL and give us updates